SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

What About Planting Roses In Fall In Central Maryland??

I moved into a new yard (house) last year, and this has been my first year to be working in my new yard. I've been doing a lot of renovating; removing old plants, reclaiming garden space, etc. in order to prepare for my own plantings. Along the way I have been buying some of the roses I intend to plant - thinking it would be next year - and nurturing them in containers. I was planning on overwintering them in the garage and planting them next year when my garden areas would be properly prepared.

However, I find that some of my garden areas are almost ready for new plantings. I am wondering if I should go ahead and plant them this fall, or still wait till next year?

Since July and August are our hottest, most stressing temperature time of the year, I don't think I should do it now.

My roses were mostly bought from Heirloom, and were very young (don't know how to express it other than that) when I got them. They are doing very nicely in their containers - steadily growing, but still "young".

What sayeth you?

Thanks!

Miss Mary

Comments (9)