SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triple_b

The coolest NATURAL thing you ever saw in your garden.

triple_b
15 years ago

I saw a Robber Fly once. It had a yellow jacket pinned up on the post and was having a feed. Gross yes but I had never seen a robber fly before. I looked it up and learned what it was. Since I had gotten stung by a yellow jacket that year already I was definitley rooting for the Robber Fly.

Comments (63)

• veilchen
    15 years ago

Two hummingbirds doing their mating dance, when they fly up and down in big swoops and make a whooshing noise.

We have raised several swallowtail and monarch caterpillars to cocoon stage, then watched the chrysalis open and a butterfly emerge.

I once rescued a toad from a snake.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Praying Mantises and "Singer" spiders. We would feed crickets to the spiders, same with the toad that had taken up residence on our patio at our old place. The kids would get a kick out of that!

• Related Discussions

The coolest bird thing

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey Orrin! Thanks! Just have to share that I saw my first pair of Bullock's Orioles last night! I was so excited! They were so close! Came right up to my livingroom window (so I had an excellent view), and fed from my hummingbird feeders. They stuck around for a few minutes and checked everything out, and then were gone...:( I went out and put a cut orange out there in hopes of luring them back sometime soon! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! They were awesome! I am amazed at all of the birds that I see here! Bald Eagles, Opsrey, Woodpeckers of all kinds, Finches of all kinds, Great Blue Heron (at the pond), Geese of all kinds, Ducks of all kinds, Cedar Waxwings, Hummingbirds (Anna's & Rufus mostly)...I could go on and on...but I won't! Don't want to bore you! ;) I just LOVE watching the birds! My Dad doesn't understand the fascination...but who cares! :D Patty
    ...See More

Need ideas - Coolest thing you ever saw at botanical garden

Q

Comments (12)
    Ginnier, I have seen the Chihuly display at the NY Botanical Garden and always wondered how they set up such massive displays of glass. Your SIL must have had a blast doing that. Connietn, I realized I don't have many signs from the gardens I've visited but here's a bunch of neat things I've seen at some. Tower Hill Botanic Garden in MA had a very simple entryway with a flag and beautiful planters. Loved this idea with dried allium heads. This was a beautiful fountain that the kids were really drawn to. Such a great turtle fountain. This was on a walk in Paris. I liked the continual towers of roses as a feature. At Chanticleer in PA these were arbors made from thick twigs and rebar. They also had very cool pathways. I thought this was a really cool feature in one part of Chanticleer. They also had many sets of adirondack chairs painted tone on tone with floral decorations. They were in all kinds of colors depending on which part of the garden it was. Sorry for the blurry photo, but you get the idea. They had beautiful bridges too. Ideas from the Chelsea Flower Show. A couple interesting things from the Norfolk Botanical Garden. OK! I'll stop! Sorry. I get carried away when it comes to botanical gardens and public gardens in general. I guess it's a good thing that for some unknown reason I didn't bring my camera to either the NY or Brooklyn botanical gardens or there would have been many more photos! One really cool thing I saw at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden was a bunch of huge bugs they made from large wire frames and then they planted annuals around the frames in different colors. So they would have a caterpillar of different rings of colors, or a butterfly with patterned wings, etc.
    ...See More

Craziest thing you have heard in your Hosta garden ...

Q

Comments (42)
    It was funny how he jumped on that red rubber mulch idea with so much enthusiasm. I know he was trying to help me do something once and be done with it, which is a smart way to work when you can do it. It could seem logical to someone who's never thought about building their soil into something plants can thrive in. Jo, no hostas that day. I had to get him outta there fast! Mocc, I can applaud recycling old tires, and playgrounds seem like a good use for this product. There's probably other things it might be good for. Maybe some landscapers like how it spruces up the looks of things fast. We have a new housing tract nearby, and it looks like they used that stuff along the fence line with intermittent shrubs. .....Hey, I thought you were done with your renovations and we'd see more of you here. I hope you're still enjoying your hostas and not having troubles with them.
    ...See More

Help! Drawer labels: Coolest thing ever or silly?

Q

Comments (17)
    I love them!! I have always wanted to use these in a kitchen. I don't think I'd like them on every drawer though. I have always thought that they would look best in a kitchen that's designed to look "unfitted," combining different furniture pieces and cabinet styles. Someone on the forum had an old general store counter or something that she used as an island, and I think it had the cute little label holders on the drawers. Does anyone else remember that? It was a pretty little green breakfast room, the island was black, she had soapstone and a white shelf unit on the wall, with copper pots and things here and there. I wish I could remember who that was. I'll try and find it in the FKB for you. Meanwhile, I say go for it, but maybe not on all your drawers.
    ...See More
  • alisande
    15 years ago

I love reading all these responses, and I'm especially glad to know that spiders and snakes are appreciated by so many. As for the coolest natural thing I've ever seen in my garden . . .

My daughter Gillian died on Memorial Day 2001. She was my partner in the garden, as well as in most other things, and for a long time I couldn't do a thing outdoors. Eventually I forced myself to mow the lawn, but the flower beds quickly yielded to the weeds, and the yard we'd loved assumed an appearance of decay.

Part of the garden is a old well that we had filled with rocks topped with soil. Jill and I planted it every year, and she took special pleasure in that spot of color in the center of a slab of stone. That spot, too reverted to weeds.

Then in the summer of 2003 a forget-me-not plant appeared on the outside of the stone slab. There were no other forget-me-nots in my garden, and our property is surrounded by woods. The plant bloomed, and then fell over toward the well, seeding it. The next spring the well bloomed in bright blue and white. I have no doubt the forget-me-nots and their beautiful message came directly from Jill. I know she wasn't asking me not to forget her, but not to forget the garden and the joy we took in it.

Here's how it looked that first year:

{{gwi:271156}}

And here's how it looked a week ago, after a shower of apple blossom petals.

{{gwi:271157}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Mama rabbit making a nest.
    Not so interesting I know but this is. My daughter had two preying mantis babies in her bedroom! Very weird and I've yet to figure it out. She has an window unit ac so maybe it has to do with that,holes you know. I hope to find more. I took the little cuties straight to the garden.

Carla

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

Leafcutter bees collecting building material from our rose foliage. There are other 'cooler' things in the yard but I am always on the lookout for leafcutters. They are fascinating to watch and sometimes hilarious. Watching a small one trying to carry a too large piece home had Deb and I laughing so hard :)

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Alisande, what a wonderful memory you have shared. I feel priviledged to have heard it. Thank you.

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

I agree with greenhaven, Alisande that was so moving. Thanks for sharing that.

THE coolest thing was when I saw the Northern Lights out over Lake Erie (my yard backs up to the lake). Second coolest was last week early early in the morning I saw a Great Horned Owl fly by and perch in the tree in our neighbor's yard.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Rain. I hope to see it again. It was beautiful then but this is now.

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

last year...baby bunnies in the middle of my yard...I took them to a wildlife rescue place. This year we have a family of bird with 2 babies. Last week they were testing out their wings and I found the two babies trying to be invisible in the middle of my climbing rose. They were so cute!

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Last year we had a big banana spider with a huge web in the front flower bed. Fall came and it spun its egg sac and disappeared. We waited all winter to see what came out and then somehow missed the babies leaving.

Yesterday I noticed a small banana spider with a small web in almost the same place as the mama's from last year. Very cool!

• C Schaffner
    15 years ago

Every year a hummingbird makes a nest in my hoya in my entryway. There are always 2 eggs. I look forward to it every spring. I really want to move that hoya because it gets too wet, but I don't dare.

{{gwi:271158}}

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

About 3 or 4 years ago I was "adopted" by a seemingly lonely young female Cardinal. She followed me around the yard chirping and squawking at me...daily! She became quite tame and would fly to my deck when I sat outside. When I made my lasagna shade garden I had to relocate one of the bird feeders. She was not happy and let me know it! Once I was done with the garden I put the feeder back where it belonged. She sat at the feeder and chirped and warbled. This little girl really kept me company many early mornings and late evenings. What a sweetheart!

• joanne_zone6_ma
    15 years ago

What a great subject! I live in a suburb of Boston, and we don't ordinarily have wildlife in the area, but one morning several years ago my husband looked out the kitchen window and lo and behold, there is the middle of the lawn was a baby bunny. The bunny was so tiny, hubby thought it was a leaf, until it jumped and showed his little cottontail. Well, bunny stayed in my garden for about a month, living in the thicket of my black-eyed susans. He would dine on my husband's green beans and the grass. We would go sit on the patio after dinner, and bunny would come out and dine. Then one day he was gone. It was like a little visitor came to give us such amusement for a short time. I still wonder where that bunny came from!

A garden brings all sorts of amazing wonders, surprises, and contentment. I love to walk and sit in my garden early in the morning...the tranquility is unexplainable. But I know you other gardeners know what I'm saying. Peace.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I thought it fascinating to watch this Dragonfly for hours. They are at natures mercy for much longer than I imagined. This photo was taken about 11:AM and it finally flew at dawn the next morning. When the wings open they have turned a metalic bronze and when they fly they are a beautiful sparkling deep bronze. Wish I could see them turn to their final "golden gate red".
    {{gwi:270865}}
    {{gwi:270866}}

• taliasmom
    15 years ago

Once a 6 point buck took a walk through my yard, then took a nap in the neighbor's yard.

One summer I asked my mother-in-law what was growing in the corner of her garden (it looked suspicious) and she said she didn't know, it just popped up there and grew really fast. Upon smelling it, my suspicions were confirmed. It was a pretty good sized pot plant. She was horrified.

Currently, my mom and dad have a bird's nest in one of their cholla plants. Here's a picture.

{{gwi:271120}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:271120}}

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

I love watching the mama deer and her twin fawns in the morning. They wander through the meadow and come up to the creek for a drink of water. The babies are so cute with their spotted coatsm and it's fun to watch them playing and running around.

• User
    15 years ago

I do'nt know how natural it was but we had an African Weaver bird in our garden. A long way from home it's now in an aviary on Long Island.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

{{gwi:232169}}

{{gwi:271161}}

{{gwi:204373}}

{{gwi:201788}}

• rosetom
    15 years ago

Either this:

{{gwi:271165}}

or this:

{{gwi:271167}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Alisande, I want you to know your message is lovely and very touching and filled with love. I don't want to bring up bad feelings for you so I'll leave it at that is a special beautiful place in your garden.

Carla

• alisande
    15 years ago

Thank you, Carla, and Greenhaven and Jackie. I've been most fortunate to have had many "signs" from Jill, and dream visits from her. Many of the signs have been about plants or animals. (The first of these involved a rose, Sir Thomas Lipton.) I often say that Gillian is as creative and loving in spirit form as she was on this earth.

I really appreciate all your words.

• Zyperiris
    15 years ago

Alisande, My sister watched John Edwards..you know that psychic guy..which is not the message here, someone in his audience was. This couple had lost a child..the husband was at the show and his wife was at work. The husband was still so angry and it had been 12 years. John asked him to call his wife at work, and she was much more at peace with the loss than the husband. She explained that for her she realized that there were "only blessings". She felt blessed to have had this child in her life. That helped me alot. I have not lost a child, but in recent years I had lost many family members including my mother. I got so sad. Just this past year hubby and I attended 3 funerals for loved ones in 7 months, two of which were his Mother and 5 months and one day his Uncle. When I think of my passed loved ones I think about the blessing part and sure has helped me.

My deepest condolences and hugs from another Mom.

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

Well when I found this little critter I thought he looked awesome but also fierce. I knew better than to touch him (hence the leaf).

{{gwi:271169}}

This is a Saddleback who causes great pain when touched.

Natures strange blends:
    {{gwi:271171}}

Blue Tailed Skink (great bug eater!!)

{{gwi:271172}}

But perhaps the most relaxing and amazing thing is just watching the Koi and FanTails. They have quite the personality!

{{gwi:240624}}

Truthfully there is nothing I enjoy more than when my blue birds have babies. What a joy to look in on them weekly and see them grow. The parents are so familiar with me they don't even fuss when I open the house to peek.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

I don't know if it was the coolest, but it sure was one of those if I only had my video camera working moments. I could have had an entry on America's Funniest Home Videos or some such program or a link here to Youtube. It happened a couple years ago in late summer/early fall. There were two of my friends and myself talking in the dining room, and Snooper, one of the cats was perched on the cat tree looking out the window. All of a sudden, Snooper became very fixed in his stare at something. We wondered what he was looking at. We looked out the window at where he was gazing and saw a squirrel. This squirrel was getting into my Earth Boxes which had the tomatoes. He grabbed a tomato almost as big as he was in his mouth and started across the yard. He went over to the edge where I have some trellis supports for some gangly OGRs and climbed up the trellis and ran along the top, still with the tomato in his mouth. Then he screwed up. He tried to jump from the trellis to the nearby tree. His little aircraft was overloaded and didn't clear the runway. He crashed dropping the tomato and falling into the rose bush. I think it was into the Souvenir du Alphonse Lavallee. It was hilarious to watch it. If only I had had my camera going. I may never see that kind of thing again, but I still have tomatoes in my Earth Boxes, and the squirrels are still there, as fat as ever from all the peanuts they ate over winter, so one never knows.

• iowa_jade
    15 years ago

The return of toads to our garden this year has been cool!

F.L.

• kathwhit
    15 years ago

Last summer I bent down to sniff a huge bloom of Veteran's Honor and discovered a little green frog sunning himself within the petals. I don't know who was more surprised, him or me!
    K

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:271173}}

In my parents' back yard. This buck visits alot and one day the neighbor's cat joined him. We saw it ourselves and Dad emailed me the photo.

• rabocsekire
    15 years ago

I would say all of the baby spade foot toads that come out after the spring rains. theyre just so itsy bitsy it adorable!

• kandaceshirley
    15 years ago

We have a hawk that likes to frequent our walnut tree. So do the many squirrels that live in the neighborhood. The squirrels decided to ban together and beat up the hawk. It was quite humerous watching the hunted chase away the hunter.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

A hummingbird flying toward me and zooming unexpectedly THROGH my hair.
    Last year my DH and I watched two baby rabbits attempting to get a peach from a lower branch of the tree. It was hilarious! Afterwards they began to play - I had no idea they could jump so high.
    ~Natalie

• timberohio
    15 years ago

Last summer I found this beautiful Regal Moth almost the size of my hand. He took flight once his wings dried. Had never seen one before and haven't seen one since.

{{gwi:271174}}

And just yesterday sitting on my trellis of my almost decimated Climber. Was this cute little Grey Tree Frog. Only about an inch long. Hopefully he got a belly full of aphids.

{{gwi:271175}}

• alisande
    15 years ago

Timber, GREAT closeup of the moth! Kinda makes you want to pet his fuzzy little head.

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Timberohio what a FANTASTIC shot of the Regal Moth!

Where in Ohio are you?

• timberohio
    15 years ago

Down south, in the hills of Vinton County. Just east of Chillicothe.

I have a few pics of him. But my favorite is the closeup of his fuzzy face and beady eyes.

Here's another one showing the coloring on his wings.
    {{gwi:271176}}

• blackeyedpeas
    15 years ago

I'm new to this forum and have to say how touched I am by all the wonderful stories and amazing photos that have been posted. I have always loved watching nature and have been lucky enough to capture a few cute photos myself.
    {{gwi:271177}}
    {{gwi:271178}}
    {{gwi:271179}}
    {{gwi:271180}}
    and on of my all time favs, my son when he was little...
    {{gwi:271181}}

• blackeyedpeas
    15 years ago

I couldn't resist, here are a few more
    {{gwi:271183}}
    {{gwi:271185}}
    {{gwi:271187}}
    {{gwi:271190}}
    {{gwi:271192}}

• alisande
    15 years ago

Me, too. Love everyone's pictures!

A pollen orgy in a sunflower:

{{gwi:271193}}

Frost on the last rose:

{{gwi:271194}}

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I love spiders):

{{gwi:271195}}

A Red Eft:

{{gwi:271196}}

Hawk/Sphinx Moth ("hummingbird moth"):

{{gwi:271197}}

Dewdrops on a rose leaf:

{{gwi:271198}}

Grasshopper on my finger:

{{gwi:271199}}

The miracle of reproduction :-)

{{gwi:271201}}

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

Bravo! Applause, Applause! Everyone's photos were fabulous. Thank you for making my day.

Pam

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Gosh, ya'lls macros reminded me of some of mine, although they don't even begin to compare.

For all you macro-shooters, what lenses are you using? I only have close-up filters for my Canon lenses, and am in the market for a good quality macro lens that won't break the bank.

I love the regal moth, and the hummingbird moth, too! I would love them more if I didn't know they came form those nasty hornworms on my maters....

Hummingbird moth:

{{gwi:271202}}

Unknown moth...anyone? Anyone?:

{{gwi:271203}}

Emerging treehoppers; I used to have a really cool audio clip of a treehoper call...can't find it anymmore. :o(
    {{gwi:271204}}

Technically not my garden, per se, but pretty dang cool nonetheless: barn swallows

{{gwi:271205}}

Somedays this wasn't so cool but this day it was. This was right after he figured out we were watching him through the living room window, about a foot from his nose! I have a bunch of him and his yearling friend who wandered close for several days.

{{gwi:271206}}

And this, though not a macro, is still a cool thing in my "new" garden. All the rest were from our old place.

Unknown dragonfly...anyone? Anyone?

{{gwi:271207}}

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Hey, check this out! This page has a little about the treehoppers, although mine were in a Wafer Ash (or Common Hop Tree).

Further down the page is a tiny video of an amorous treehopper, complete with audio. WAY cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: page with treehopper mating call

• salmon1an
    15 years ago

A few weeks ago I was spraying water in my garden when 2 hummingbirds began zooming in and out of the spray of water. At first I thought they were chasing each other, but then one landed in a little puddle I was creating and began vigorously washing himself!

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Amazing shot of the mammoth moth! I love the shots with all of the baby grasshoppers and of the tree frogs in the daylilies too. Beautiful pictures of the snake. The shots of the orange eft and hummingbird moth are beautiful as well.

The coolest thing I've seen in my garden is a bobcat, but there's lot of other wild things I've seen there too: a mink, gray foxes, and many birds and insects.

Female carpenter bee
    {{gwi:271209}}

Male carpenter bee
    {{gwi:271210}}

click on thumbnail to enlarge
    Male courting female
    {{gwi:271141}}
    {{gwi:271142}}

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail{{gwi:271143}}

Honeybees{{gwi:271144}}
    {{gwi:271145}}

Turkey. I wasn't sure if these were actually wild and tamed by feeding or escapees from a farm.
    {{gwi:271217}}

Snapping turtle{{gwi:271149}}

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Great pictures and if you have some of rain, I would like to see those. I am trying to remember what that was like, rain. It has been a while, a long while. I remember a few summers ago, maybe in 2000-2001, there was a lot of rain. Now there is none. So strange.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    15 years ago

Two years ago every time I would go into one of my gardens, a bird would fly out of it. I must have been dim or something, but did not realize she was a mommy and was leading me away from this:

{{gwi:271219}}

This April we had wild turkey visiting us. She would be in the yard early in the morning. Then one day I scared her while trying to take a picture and she has not been back...at least we haven't seen her.

• alisande
    15 years ago

Greenhaven, I use a Raynox DCR-250, which easily attaches to the lens of my Panasonic Lumix FZ5. It's made in Japan and can produce some great stuff. So far I'm not in the "great stuff" league, but I've seen some stunning pix from other photographers. Like this guy. He has taken the time to set up optimum lighting conditions, among other things (including a tripod). This makes a huge difference, given the practically non-existant depth of field you have to work with at this degree of magnification.

I, on the other hand, hold the camera up to my face in natural light, shooting 20 shots for every keeper if I'm lucky. Still, I feel I've accomplished something just for having climbed part of the steep learning curve that comes with this lens. I love using it, and even put it to work photographing manufacturers' marks on antique demi-tasse silver spoons when I was thinking of selling them. The marks were impossible to decipher until I did this.

Raynox makes a DCR-150 as well. It's easier to use because it doesn't magnify quite so much.

Hope this helps!

Susan

• socks
    15 years ago

Lizards and praying mantids. To me it's sign that there is a working food chain going on in the garden. If I ever saw a snake or toad/frog, I'd be thrilled, but it won't happen.

'Possums, raccoons, and skunks are common, but I don't enjoy them quite so much. One of them--not sure which--digs holes all over looking for grubs and worms. Poor things are just trying to make a living, but I wish they'd do it somewhere else.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Alisande, it looks to me like you have way better DOF than I get with my filters. Besides that, I get quite a bit of distortion, particularly around the edges. If yours are handheld at that mag, then I am suitably impressed! Thanks to everyone sharing their macros. I have been re-inspired to work with my camera again this year.

I shoot with a Canon digital Rebel (SLR) and am not sorry one bit! It has been a trooper for me since December 2004, and all my Canon film camera lenses work on it.

• suebot
    15 years ago

Absolutely mesmerizing photos; except for the snakes! They are my biggest fear! As a gardener, and I use that term loosely, I love watching any type of wildlife. We have tons of deer, pheasant,chipmunks, red-tailed hawks, great birds, and our favorite bluebirds that hatched 2 eggs and sad for us, they finally flew the coop. Bluebirds are great parents. They come back to the bluebird houses every year. Of course we certainly don't know if they are the same ones but we do enjoy them anyway. New England is a great place for gardeners and wildlife lovers. That's why we call our area, God's Country!

suebot in CT

• stone_garden
    15 years ago

I have a little townhouse with little front and back gardens, that I have edged with modular bricks. The coolest thing I remember was finding a big eight-inch lizard in one of my empty flower pots, I thought it had fallen in so kindly left it on its side so it could escape. I have blue-tailed skinks, wood frogs, and other assorted critters that hang about. Sometimes I have to be careful when I come home, because oddly in the summer toads like to come and sit on my walkway at night, bold as anything. I couldn't figure out why, but a scientist I know said they are probably enjoying the absorbed heat at night from the concrete. I just have to make sure I walk slow and step over the dark little blobs!

• jljohnson740
    15 years ago

Enjoying all of these posts...thanks so much for sharing them with us!! I feed a number of squirrels and have a bird feeding table and suet hangers,etc. I have one very fat squirrel who fusses at me when the seed gets low or gone. One morning I was about to step through the garden gate when for some reason I stopped. Not 6 inches from my face on the gate post was this squirrel...not moving a muscle...I stared in to his face and as luck would have it I had my camera. Now..I'll have to go and find out how to post the picture. I admit I was scared...one never knows what these fellas will do. He just sat there and then suddenly jumped down and ran to the tree where the feeders are. It was a little close for comfort..but..he's here all of the time and a lot of mornings he's on the fence outside the back door...just waiting for me. He will come on the patio and get seed but I don't try it often...it's best if he continues on in his own world...too close to mine might make him a little too tame. He actually let me move my hand up and snap a photo...glad to have it of him..he's really a part of the garden and back yard...now I can remember him!
    :)))))