SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Two of the same plants never grow the same

User
15 years ago

I bought 2 healthy Julia Childs this Spring and they were exactly the same size. Before I planted them, while in the containers, they got the same amount of water and the exact same sun. One of them grew way faster than the other. Someone attributed this to "luck" in an earlier thread, I guess it is just a difference in vigor. Just like people, some are healthier than others.

Anyhoo, when you buy 2 of something, the idea is that you want them to look about the same. Of course, this rarely happens. The two Julia Childs are planted now but rabbits ate a good part.....of course, of the little one. Now it is even smaller than the bigger one.

I also bought 4 bareroot DAs from Pickering (for containers), first time buying from them. 2 are Pretty Jessica, 1 grew much faster than the other but the small one is still healthy.

But, the other 2 are Tamoras for front patio containers so I wanted them to look about the same. 1 of the Tamoras was the worst looking of the 4 bareroots. It only grew from 2 canes, the other Tamora grew from 4-5 canes. The 2 cane Tamora had another growth coming through the mulch and then the growth just died. Would you move the container into more shade or leave it be? If it doesn't make it, my front patio will be lopsided.

Comments (2)