SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawo_gw

Rain Bird - Help choosing

9 years ago

Hi,

I am planning to irrigate my lawn using Rain Bird products. However I am a little bewildered by the sheer amount of different sprinkler models and variants!

For one section of my lawn irrigation I need rotary sprinklers that can provide me with part circle irrigation and a radius of longer than 35 feet if possible, which I guess leaves me with the 5000 series rotor sprinkler. But when within this series choosing a model, I become a bit confused. I guess I do not need the plus-version (no need to be able to shut off individual sprinklers). But should I opt for a model with SAM (Seal-A-Matic) and PRS (Pressure Regulating Stem)? Or do these features shorten the irrigation radius in some way, or make the sprinkler less robust (by being more complicated)? And is it worthwhile investing in the Stainless Steel Rotor version?

When it comes to irrigate my flowerbeds and lawn sections with a smaller area (10 by 10 feet), should I choose from the 1800-series or Uni-Spray series if I want the best quality? And have I understood the concept correctly if I first buy the pop-up spread head of choice, and then equip this with a nozzle (for example a HE-VAN nozzle if I want to be able to adjust the angle of coverage)?

My third question is regarding what sprinkler valves to choose? I would like to be able to control my valves from my home automation system, which means that I can turn on and off a 24V transformer for example. So if you have any suggestions of a good quality valve from Rain Bird that can be controlled by 24V, meaning that when I turn on the current, the valve opens, and when the current is off, the valve is shut, I would be most grateful!

I also might have to take into consideration when choosing valves, that some of my sprinklers are placed on a higher ground level then the valves (as I have a terraced garden)?

Thanks a lot for all the help I can get!

Comments (4)