SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboil

My two new compost beds! Looking for ideas/help

herboil
16 years ago

Greetings! this is My first post here but I've been reading for a while. Brief history, I've been doing landscape for years and just got into serious gardening around 3 years ago. I grow a wide variety of plants in a small area, my grow plot is maybe a third of an acre, in a backyard of suburban neighborhood.

I've been amending the soil for years, and I grow great veggies, cut flowers, and herbs.

This year however, I got COMPOST FEVER!( disco dance!) I just like to help the earth, and make the world a beautiful place. :)

HereÂs the deal, I have a big pile of almost rotted, half rotted, and fresh grass clippings, and a bunch of oak leaves piled up. So I decided to prepare some raised compost beds.( itÂs hard work!)

Getting to the point, the first bed is on a fence corner, with pallets on the fence to add air exchange and keep the pile off the fence, and make a box of sorts. It's 10 feet long and the pile is around a foot and a half to two feet high.

I did around TEN layers. Consisting of thinly laid Leaves, grass, pine straw, garden debris, topsoil, peat moss, I also mixed in blood meal and watered each layer lightly as I went.

I think I went overboard with the layering process, and I did not really need that much thinness.

I also fear that 1 and half feet high by two feet wide by 10 feet long (approximately) is not going to generate enough heat to speed up the process.

On the second compost bed that I just completed today, it's also on the fence. I used old siding( 10 inches high) and make an 8 feet by 4 feet by ten inch depth bed.

In this bed I just used leaves, grass clippings, and topsoil with light blood meal. Except I mixed the leaves and grass together with some of the topsoil and left a layer on the top.

Is this going to work? I am hoping to have beds ready to plant ginseng in September)

Comments (3)