SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkhoshabo

Dead Compost Piles

dkhoshabo
16 years ago

Last fall, after the leaves had fallen, I embarked on making my first proper compost. Prior to that, I had always just piled up the leaves, grass, and twigs right on top of each other on the ground, and collected compost from the bottom. I never turned the pile or watered it. It normally would take 9 months before I could collect anything, but it worked fine and always teamed with worms and other creatures.

This past summer however, I followed directions: I put down layers of twigs, leaves, dirt, lime, grass, horse manure, and lots of kitchen refuse (no cooked animal stuff,)and covered the whole thing with straw. The process was supposed to produce heat, and three months later, compost. Well, none of that happened. I even watered and turned this time. but to add insult to injury, I did not, and 9 months later, have not seen any compost, or worms, or other creatures that at least would indicate action. Where are they? If someone has my worms and those other critters, please, I would like them back.

Thanks

Comments (7)