SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachlakegrower

How long does compost thermometer need to be in pile?

13 years ago

I'm involved in a school gardening project. Second grade students will be recording compost bin and raised bed soil temperatures on a daily basis. Kids need to take their measurements within the span of a few minutes in the garden and then return to class.

Potential problem is, there are 8 classes sharing the same 20" thermometer to take soil and compost temps. Each day, each class will send out a couple of students to record temps of their own, individual raised bed and the temperature of a compost bin they share with another class.

I'm realizing the non-digital, 20" Clear Air Distributing composting thermometer I got for the project seems to take a while to reach temperature; possibly too long considering how long the kids have in the garden.

Would appreciate suggestions for the following:

1. Compost/soil thermometers that reach correct temp. reading relatively quickly.

2. Anyone's experience on how long a particular make and model of thermometer takes to record a correct temperature.

Assuming I pick up a second thermometer, one possible solution could be to have the teachers create a schedule of when their kids would visit their raised beds/compost piles so there will not be overlap of when the kids are in the garden. AND make sure that when each group of 2-3 kids leave, they know which class will be coming out next and that they need to leave the thermometers in that class's compost pile and raised bed.

Any thoughts/feedback are appreciated. Thank you, John.

Comments (8)