SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

skil 1610 & 1645 chain saws

mvron
12 years ago

I've just acquired these two chain saws. Any idea how old - the clue was to "not use unleaded gas". Seems like there is no spark plug. They don't run. Seem to have good compression. Any ideas on what to look for to get them running. They seem like they are very hard to start - pulling on the starter rope is very tough. I've got the user manuals for both of them.

Thanks..

Comments (5)

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rope on the 1645 mechanism broke - to the recycle. I actually got the 1610 started. Now I have to get some gasoline lead additive-no unleaded for this beauty. 16 - 1 gase-oil ratio - that's really old.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

mvron: The 36 cc.1610 was introduced in 1977 and the 69 cc was introduced in 1969 . My Uncle had a 1645 Model . It was a rather stout unit made in British Columbia Canada. I would not sweat the Unleaded Fuel since your dealing with a two stroke engine , no valves requiring protection . Just ensure a preimium grade oil . I would run synthetic at 40:1 Ratio. I run 50:1 Amsoil Sabre Syn oil in both my Vintage 1967 Pioneers .

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips ewalk. I've got some really good Echo 2 stroke oil that should work. Good idea on the fuel also.
    Having second thoughts on scrapping the 1645. Will look into the rope problem further.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Echo Oil would be great ! Have fun with the Old Girls :) .

• kfelizzi
    8 years ago

I have a Skil 1610 and am in need of an ignition coil. I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get one?