SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregamy_gw

Simplicity 5216H Eating Drive Belts

gregamy
13 years ago

Howdy, all.

I've got a Simplicity 52125.5H that I installed the 16hp engine onto (out of a rusty 5216H). Over the last few years I've noticed that it's consistently eating the main drive belt. I lost another belt this afternoon, I had replaced it around mid-winter. I use this tractor to not only cut/bag in the summer but also to run a snowthrower for my 150-foot driveway in the winter. I maintain the thing religiously, as it's my year-round buddy.

But this killing the drive belt really annoys me. I've noticed that Simplicity belts tend to last longer than NAPA belt; I can almost make it a year on a belt from the Simplicity dealer, but the NAPA belts get eaten twice a year. And neither one is what you would call cheap. I adjust the tension on them per the manual, and all pulleys appear to be in good shape and spin freely. The hydro unit seems to work fine, though it slows down a few minutes into cutting or throwing.

The final clue I can offer is that the belt always seems to get munched on the crankshaft pulley; today, for example, the tractor came to a halt and smoke was pouring our from under the engine, and the belt had failed where it goes around the crank pulley. I cannot honestly say if this was a problem before I put in the 16hp engine, it's been far too long ago.

This tractor is a workhorse and has served me well for many years. I'd hate to have to replace it with something new.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments are appreciated.

Greg

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions