SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanj_gw

Snow blower decision...

RyanJ
18 years ago

I am considering two different two-stage snow throwers at the moment. The first is an Ariens model ST926LE and the second being a Husqvarna 1027SBE. Both retail at $999.00. Anyone with knowledge of either unit, could you make any suggestions or comments? I have not ruled out other brands of snow throwers but these are the two that I have looked at extensively in my price range ($1,000 or so). Both units appear to be pretty rugged. I like the fact that Ariens has a 3 year warranty but Home Depot has only 6 mos. financing where as the Husqvarna model at Lowes I can get 12 mos. financing. If I purchase the Ariens from a local dealer I can get 18 mos. interest free financing. Does anyone know of better deals out there?

Other info: Snowfall last year in my area of Ohio was at an all time high (over 95"). But again, that was a record year. I would say that we typically get between 60 to 80" over the course of a winter. My concrete driveway is just over 150' long with a slight slope and is about a car and a half in width. However, the concrete pad outside of my garage is very large (probably a 36'X 36' square). My lot is very wide open and at times the snow tends to drift due to windy conditions and lack of trees. Any suggestions from anyone on their choice of snow blower? I have considered Sears Craftsman and Toro as well. I have many small dealers in the area that carry anything from Simplicity, Ariens, Yardman, White, etc. You name it, we probably have it somewhere within 25 miles. Again, my budget is about $1,000 to $1,200 max. Interest-free financing is important as I don't want this to be a lump sum payment with holiday spending coming up in the coming months. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (30)

• garandman
    18 years ago

If you can buy an Ariens under those terms it's an excellent deal. HD is notorious for poor assembly, however.

I have a 1970 Ariens and a 1995. I recently rebuilt the 1970 from fasteners on up, and any part I needed was readily available. It will easily last another 15 years to make it to 50.

Toro, Simplicity, and Snapper are also well-regarded. The Simplicitys also have extended financing and a B&S OHV engine.

• aesanders
    18 years ago

I'd go check out the Simplicity large frame models. They have by far the strongest frame on the market and are designed extremely well. They will be at the upper end or pushing over your budget, but you should get a longer life from one of these than most others.

• Related Discussions

Ethical to sell a siezed but freed up snow blower?

Q

Comments (15)
    Yeah, its when you don't tell them about the past problem with it, they buy it, it blows up, they bring it back, mad as all get-out, and want a refund! What have you accomplished? Do you lie and shrugg yer shoulders, and tell them:"It ran well for me--i Can't understand what could be wrong with it--you must of done something to it!"??? (people do that--) Safest way is to tell the prospective buyer about the problem, and give him the option of returning it, if it blows before 30 days.(With proper care) I've found this does wonders for your reputation, and makes the sales of other used equipment easier. You have to protect your good name, so cheating folks, and they find out, makes yer good name go bye-bye, in all you do, ever after!
    ...See More

Help deciding on snow blower

Q

Comments (14)
    I have to concur with Rusty I have a Second hand Craftsman that I got for a sweet price form a Buddy who repairs and sells Lawnmowers and Snow-blowers I have had it for 4 yrs now in Harsh Northern Canadian Climate and have not been disappointed . As for Single Stage I would really rethink that route , do yourself a favour and find a Middle of the Road 2-Stage (New) or a Top Shelf Unit slightly been used . Of course you have to have an idea of what is available and what you really do require . I have been working on Various Small Engine Operated units for years , so a little problem does not dissuade me , however if you are not mechanically inclined New is the way to Go !
    ...See More

Help with Leaf Blower decision

Q

Comments (5)
    No Troybilt or Craftsman. For under $250, you better off buy a hand held blower. Husqvarna 150B for about $149: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/blowers/125b/ This is stronger than the ones you showed. For Back Pack, you have to go to $299 for Husqvarna 150Bt or Redmax EBZ5100. THey are the same blower with different color to match your clothes. For same size engine, hand held is always stronger than back pack. The ones you showed are too small and too weak. YOu should not get back pack less than 50cc to be of any usefullness. The two I show you are the best power for the money bar none. And both are commercial quality.
    ...See More

Honda Snow blowers Compared with Tore and Simplicity snow blowers

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, I have a Honda HS1132 TAS (the new model is a HS1332) which I think is a bigger snow blower to what you are considering. Although my Honda has an electric start, I have only used it once to test it. It is easier and faster just to pull the cord. Hondas are easy to start. I think the HS520 also has an electric start option. So far, I have been through two seasons, and last year we had "The Big One" in New York, it has been very good. best, Mike.
    ...See More
  • altownsend
    18 years ago

I have an Ariens st824 which I purched in '93. I live a bit north of Boston and we get a good bit of snow on occasion. This has been a great machine for me. I got the electric start, but I never use it. It starts on the first pull. The outlet for the starter is across the garage from where I keep it and not worth the trouble. I especially appreciate the differential in the drive wheels. Perhaps all of the models you mentioned have this, but it makes turning the snow blower MUCH easier. My wife (115#) can handle it if I am away from home.

The top of my driveway is similar to your description. The 36' square area is perhaps the most challenging part of the job because you have to throw the snow several times to get it off. I have not had any particular problems, even in heavy wet snow.

Good luck, and I am sure that any of the ones you mentioned are better than one that is too small.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

You can buy the husq 11.5 Intek Snow (sears craftsman version) at 10% off and the current sale price is $1199 bringing the price to $1079. That is the machine as the Husq/Poulan (made by Electrolux) and seems more rugged than the Ariens 11 hp. I also looked at both and decided on the "Husquvarna" snowblower for $1050 with discounts vs the Ariens for $1300. Here is the link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=&keyword=snow+11.5&displayTarget=searchresults&gobutton.x=20&gobutton.y=14

• delcogreg
    18 years ago

You probably already know this, but people often overestimate the savings of interest-free financing on a purchase of this size. In this case, an 18 month loan of $1000 at 12.9% (plausible) is less than $6 a month in interest ($105 total). Of course if all else really is equal, then $100 saved is certainly better than nothing.

Greg

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

Husqvarna, Sears, Poulan, etc snowblowers are all AYP-made products. Different trim levels but basically the same machine. After working on several of them I can say I'd never buy one unless I was forced to. A snowblower is a big investment, and should be counted on to last at least 20 years.

Once you get over 8HP, massive size and power shouldn't be your first concern. Quality, ease of maintenance, and parts support should be. I have a 12HP Noma/Murray (similar quality and design to AYP) that I'd trade in a second for a 9HP Ariens. No comparison. Once you get into the design details it's very apparent.

I used to have a 1963 Ariens 6/24, but I sold it last year when I got the Noma. It was easier getting parts for the 40-year-old Ariens than it is the 10-year-old Noma.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

I think you can order everything from the muffler cage to the smallest bushing. I may try to change it...recommendations seem to be Ariens, but I wasn't impressed when I compared their snowblowers and their prices.

• canguy
    18 years ago

IMHO, Ariens makes some of the best two stage blowers on the market. The Craftsman (Murray and AYP/Roper) don't hold a candle in terms of reliability and performance. How many do you plan to buy in the next ten years?

• dozlert
    18 years ago

So you are telling me this snowblower isn't worth the money? I read a lot of posts saying the Tec engin for snowblowers are throwing rods and that Ariens are freezing up. I haven't read one bad thing on the net about the AYP Electrolux models. 'Splain!

• garandman
    18 years ago

>.recommendations seem to be Ariens, but I wasn't impressed when I compared their snowblowers and their prices.No question, the AYP products are cheaper. But in the mid-sized consumer models, the difference in price between the cheapest and most expensive is about $200.

There are some private label AYP blowers that are even cheaper, if you hunt around. AYP makes the cheapest two stage blowers on the market.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

Thanks Garandman. I wasn't impressed with any of the snowblowers I have seen, except that big honda. I will just pick one that works. Either Ariens or Craftsman.

• newjerseybt
    18 years ago

At the moment Toro has dropped their professional "power shift" models. Therefore IMHO, the big three are Ariens, Honda and Simplicity.

Ariens does listen to it's customers and has improved their
    lineup for 2005. Many of these improvements were on the wish list of GardenWeb members.

To name a few over the last 2 years: A wider chute at the base to prevent snow blowby, a halogen light, a trigger to engage and disengage the wheels/differential on the pro models, a heavier frame, a heavy duty auger gear box, the elimination of the baler bar on the compact models, built-in drift cutters, improved chute controls and a handy shovel to clear the chute if it ever clogged. They also have a great warranty.

Simplicity also makes a quality machine along with Honda. Simplicity has a very strong frame and Honda has a track option although not cheap.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

Ooh, I forgot about Simplicity. Those are great blowers, possibly better than Ariens.

Flathead Tecumseh engines are pretty reliable. If you keep the oil level up you're not going to throw rods. I personally have no love for the larger OHV Tecumsehs, as everything seems designed to break. Or maybe I just got unlucky with an early model.

If you're looking for a part-by-part comparison between Ariens and AYP I don't think anyone has time for that. In my personal experience, the cheaper brands have lighter drive parts that run faster, are looser, and usually have low quality bearings. Shafts are smaller and weak. Gearboxes are undersized. They're also harder to service and repair. Outside sections like handles and augers are thinner and poorly welded. Cables and springs are used in place of control rods. Lots of smaller assemblies are just poorly designed. It's all in the little details.

If you like the way the Craftsman's made then by all means buy it. It'll probably be fine for you.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

OK, I took everybody's advice on this forum and cancelled the Craftsman. I did pick up the 826 LE Toro w/the light. I hope that does the trick.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

Why not Ariens? The chute operation is not smooth at all on the Ariens (worse than the plastic chute operation on a $300 Craftsman). Also, this snowblower seems longer and bulkier than other, similarly equipped, snowblowers. They may last a long time, but ergonomically, there are better choices.

• newjerseybt
    18 years ago

I tried a few Ariens myself in the Home Depot last year and the chute operation was terrible all DUE TO IMPROPER SETUP!

When I got my pro Ariens, I set the spring tensions and lubricated the mechanisms to MY satisfaction. Both the 8526LE and the 1128DLE have silky smooth operation.

Also be aware that if you set the chute tension until the chute moves like it has power steering, you will find that the snow exiting the chute will cause the chute to move by itself. It then becomes a real PITA trying to steer the blower with one hand and at the same time, manually holding the chute control handle with the other hand so it does not wander.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

I can see where that would be an issue. Well, I got the Toro model 38622 beacuse that chute op[eration worked so smoothe and it was a little more compact than the Ariens. I probably will never use it more than 3-4 times a year, but I am ready.

• dozlert
    18 years ago

Man, my spelling really doesn't suck, I was just in a hurry. :)

• RyanJ
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all,

Just wanted to finally follow up to let you know of my decision. I ended up choosing the Ariens ST926LE from Home Depot because this past weekend they offered 12 mos interest free financing and 10% off too. At the same time I was also able to get a great buy on a special order Anderson storm door (30% off after the 20% off promotion on storm/garage doors and the additional 10% off for opening a HD charge account). So I think I made out pretty well.

Just wanted to say thank you to all who gave feedback even if I did not choose your particular snowblower of choice.

One interesting note that I will pass along is what a long time tractor/snow thrower salesman (in the business for over 30 years) told me. He said he actually liked the single stage Toro snow blowers versus the heavy duty two stage units. He claims that their units will throw heavy, wet snow/slush better than most two stage blowers not to mention give a cleaner look. All because of the patented design (Power Curve). I considered purchasing a Toro Snow Commander last year but opted for the Ariens this year because of the extra features and similar price (less than $100 difference). Anyway that's where things sit now. Thanks for the replies and I will continue to read this site to educate myself on future purchases.

• ATVRAM_YAHOO_COM
    18 years ago

I WENT THROUGH THIS 2 WINTERS AGO. LOOKED AT EVERYTHING THAT WAS MADE. HONDA, SIMPLICITY, TORO ARE TOP DOG IN MY BOOK. FOUND A USED CHERRY TRACK DRIVE HONDA FOR A $1,000 AND LOVE IT. A FOOT PLUS OF SNOW AND I CAN HOLD THE MACHINE WITH ONE HAND AND NEVER HAVE TO THROW MY WEIGHT INTO IT. ONE THING TO KEEP A EYE ON IS THE SPEC PPM (POUNDS PER MINUTE)I BELIEVE MY 8.5 HP HONDA THROWS MORE SNOW FASTER THAN THE AREINS 11 HP.

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

Single stage blowers will clean the pavement better, but I have yet to see one outperform a good 2-stage.

Neighbor down the street has a single-stage Toro. Not the newest one, but pretty recent. It's a little beast in powdery or light snow. However, once the heavy stuff comes in or he hits a snowbank is really struggles. Just can't keep the RPM up and the snow moving. The other neighbor's old Ariens 8/24 2-stage just digs in and starts throwing. My old Ariens 6/24 did almost as well, and my big Noma will eat a car without flinching, if it stays running long enough.

• garandman
    18 years ago

>>ONE THING TO KEEP A EYE ON IS THE SPEC PPM (POUNDS PER MINUTE)I BELIEVE MY 8.5 HP HONDA THROWS MORE SNOW FASTER THAN THE AREINS 11 HP.Ariens does not publish lbs per minute numbers, as snow is seldom the same density.

In the Consumer Reports test of various models 10/4, the Honda HS928WAS/HS928WA did not remove snow as fast as the Simplicity 9560, despite costing 50% more.

Folks with gravel drives, grass, or hills like track drive machines. Everyone likes the hydrostatic drive on the Honda. Most consider the expense of purchase and maintenance, and the relative difficulty of moving them with the engine off to be disadvantages.

• Lazy_Bum
    18 years ago

Wow, is all this confusing!

I think I just let my wife shovel again this year instead!

Every year I get her fitted for a nice new Republican shovel.

You know one of those custom jobs with the crooked handle and what not.

Money's no object, Any thing she wants. ... no sense scrimping on it.

No belts, No rods, No chutes, Nothing to break.

Oops time for my nap.

• bushleague
    18 years ago

HD is the balls! I grabbed an Ariens during the discount last year, nice machine. Get a 10% off gift card, a contractors account, a military ID, and you are set.
    Don't forget they accept Lowe's coupons!

• jeffw_00
    18 years ago

Hmmm - so the Toro PowerMax is the gold-standard, but at $1350 (on sale) i don't have enough gold. Before I read this thread I was going for the $1K craftman 88790 (wide mouth, and looks like a look-and-feel ripoff of the Toro), but now I think I'll just go down to the depot and do the best I can on an Ariens - it's a shame though, maneuverability is really important to me (short wide driveway), but my current unit is a 5HP Toro that just doesn't cut it anymore (snow gets wetter in MA every year), and I couldn't deal with anything less reliable

/j

• john_in_ma
    18 years ago

I'm surprised no one here is considering used machines. A 7-8/24 Ariens or Simplicity can be had for $250-350 usually. If you're lucky an older 10/32 could be $300.

• airbearma
    18 years ago

I used to own a Sears 8hp track drive model that I purchased new. I owned it for 6 years. It was the biggest POS that ate belts and drive components every year. I sold it and bought an Ariens 10/32DLE over 10 years ago. It still has the original belts, never clogs on wet snow, chews thru any snow (including 4+ft drifts) and has never broken down on me. Do not think you are saving money by purchasing the sears (Poulan, Husq). Mechanically they will not hold up under heavy use. If you don't believe me, just ask any snowblower repair center what the biggest pieces of crap are.

There are many good machines (Ariens, Toro, Simplicity, Honda) and even MTD which are better than the AYP snowblowers.

• yuval
    18 years ago

i`m 17 years old boy from Israel and I have some questions about the snow blower because I have to do a work anout the problem of moving snow from pathes (in countreies which have cold climte).
    I would like you to answer me about some questions that I should answer for the work prosses. please send me a posetive reply that says you can answer me and I then, I`ll send you the questions I want you to answer.
    Thanks a lot for your attention! :)
    Yuval.

• akachrisinmass
    18 years ago

Got my sears two stage in 95. Just gave it its first oil change last fall.....works great.

• voltzzzz_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Although this is old discussion, I thought that I would up date the information. John deere , Snapper , Simplicity , and Brute are all the same snowblower , just a different colour
    Husqvarna who owns AYP(in the USA) produces the Husqvarna snowblowers and some of the Craftsman higher priced models, These models are built really well, have easy to operate , logical controls, power steering and have rugged construction, Husqvarna and craftsman both offer the hydrostatic transmission. I have owned two of the Craftsman (Husqvarna built )for 5 years, I do a lot of driveways and parking lots, I have had no problems, and would highly recommend them