SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryllou_gw

help...sinking sprinklers!

cheryllou
18 years ago

I installed my Rainbird undergroundd system about 10 yr. ago. Many of the 88 sprinklers have sunk below the ground level in the turf areas. I just "woke" up my system to check all the heads today & find that MANY of the sprinklers are no longer working properly because they are to deep now. I just dug up 4 & raised. I am a 57 yr. old grandmother. This is more than I want to deal with! Is there an easier way to remedy this problem than to dig up each one, follow the flex pipe until it is long enough to pull up (to raise the head) & then bury it again at a higher level. I have only checked 2 of 12 zones so far. I need help here!

Comments (3)

• mrpike
    18 years ago

Welcome to the last 4 weeks of my life.

You can buy some fittings that will "raise" or extend the riser about 3/4 to 1" It will ease a bit of the digging, but that happens to most systems as the grass gets thicker and thicker.

Install good commercial quality rotors / pop ups with a rise of no less than 4" and you will do this chore less often.

It might be just what was installed previously in my area, but I have probably removed / replaced 50 TORO popups and Rotors this month alone that just sink out of sight due to the larger lawn mowers, thicker turf. Not nearly as high, but coming out as well are the old impact rainbirds. They just don't get out of the ground far enough to get over the grass that mowing companies leave taller.

Just as a comparison, I have only replaced rotors made by K-Rain, Weathermatic, and Hunter, that were damamged by vehicles or chopped off by mowers because they stuck in the up postition.

• popupholdup
    16 years ago

If you are having problems with sinking sprinklers, try looking into the POPUPHOLDUP. The POPUPHOLDUP clips on to pop-up sprinkler heads, preventing them from falling down.

The POPUPHOLDUPÂ clips onto the nozzle stems of all major brands of fixed head pop-up sprinklers. The stems stay up even when the water is turned off! ItÂs a system designed to hold up multiple sprinkler nozzles at the same time to make routine maintenance of filters, nozzles and flushing a quick, easy, hands free job. For pictures and directions on how to use the POPUPHOLDUP to hold up sprinklers, Click Here.

Here is a link that might be useful: POPUPHOLDUP Store

• jake2381
    16 years ago

Try watering your lawn the simple way by using the Sprinkler Anchor System. Easy Install!!!

www.sprinkleranchor.com

Jake-

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprinkler Anchor