SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

5 yr potted Paperbark Maple for yard now?

drrich2
13 years ago

Hi:

Local nursery in southwestern KY has a potted paperback maple around 4' tall or so. Want $100. Only the 1. In a pot; not a tiny pot, but not huge, or full to the top, either. Not sure how many gallons, but I'd say over 1, less than 5, maybe 3 but again not full. He thinks it's been there 5 years and it's time for it to have a home. He could order one that'd likely go for around $145 or so, also potted, similar size. Not sure how 'old' that one would be.

I'd plant it in the yard.

Obviously that plant's going to be root-bound. I'm not masterful with working with such things. I can take a box cutter & cut down the sides of the root ball at 4 opposing places to cut fully encircling roots, and cut those obviously ready to strangle the trunk in the short term. Then plant.

I ready elsewhere someone thought they had a rather fibrous root system. I'm not enthused at the prospect of ordering a bare root one, even if I can find it. I would consider ordering a potted one, preferably 3' tall or more. Not sure of a reputable source, though. They're hard enough to find that it's unlikely I'll find a 3-footer grown in a copper-lined pot without any encircling roots, or freshly field-dug, balled & burlapped locally.

Anyway, any thoughts on how likely this local tree would be to adapt alright in my yard (zone 6, clay soil, fair drainage but when rainy can be wet awhile)?

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

P.S.: I bought one over 6' tall entering winter of '09, got it in the ground, and over 2010, it put on about 6' growth & was pretty. Hope it goes the distance, but we moved, and I want one in the new place.

Comments (6)