SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngraysmith

Drip Irrigation Spacing Question, Raised Bed

ngraysmith
11 years ago

I am putting in a new raised bed garden at our new house. This time I would like to add drip irrigation because our summers here in the North Carolina piedmont are hot hot hot and I hate to get out in the garden and water at the times that are usually available to me (I have three young children and timing is very sporadic as to what I can do when).....

I'm going with poly drip and here is the general plan:
tomatoes - individual drip emitters installed directly on 1/2 tube - one 1/2 g/h emitter per plant at the base under mulch. Tomatoes will be planted approximately 18 inches apart.
cucumbers - same as tomatoes except these are closer together
squash - same as tomatoes except these are further apart
peppers - 1/4 inch "soaker hose" drip tubing with emitters on the inside, 12 inches apart to match the peppers planted 12 inches apart
beans - 1/4 inch "soaker hose" drip tubing 6" apart spacing

Does this sound reasonable? I have 10 different beds, some 4x8s and some 2x22-27s.

I have done lots of research, still having trouble figuring out which plants need which spacing. My plan is to run 1/2 inch tubing at one end of each short bed and both ends of the long beds and run lines off of this - either 1/2 inch tubing for the individually spaced emitters or 1/4 inch "soaker hose." I am planning to put a control valve to control each bed so that they can be turned on and off. I am also planning to use the "direct-loc" control valves so that I can change out configurations between the beds when I change crops.

Of course I will start the setup with a pressure regulator and filter at the beginning. I do have one question about that - my garden faucet is about 50 feet from the garden, slightly downhill and across the driveway. I thought I would install a splitter at the faucet and then run a hose to the garden, across the driveway (eventually hope to run pvc pipe under the driveway) and install the pressure regulator and filter where the hose enters the garden through the fence. Should I do that or install it at the faucet?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks for listening! Nicole

Comments (4)