SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Will new canes grow through a couple inches of mulch?

aliska12000
17 years ago

I finally got my second rose cutting I rooted from last year in the ground just now. It had been sitting outside hardening off for quite awhile. The last few days I noticed it was putting up odd little shoots that looked like one blade of grass with a thicker, curved area, sticking up about an inch. Whatever they are, I'm afraid I may have ruined them by planting. The other rose, a different variety, didn't exhibit anything like that.

After I got it out of the pot, those "shoots" appeared to be coming from the roots, but I can't be sure as some stray seeds could have gotten in there, but they don't look like most 2-leaved seedlings normally do.

I did well to just get it in the ground, had to break sod and make a fairly wide circular spot, dug deep then backfilled to bring the soil level up and give the roots a good start, used the sod to fill bare spots on the terrace, scraped most of the dirt off it with a kitchen knife, half filled, watered, finished filling, watered again, formed a circle of dirt to direct water, then apply 2+ inches cypress mulch, then put a chicken wire cage (will come off in time) around it secured by 3 rebar stakes, The cutting is about 4 feet tall, didn't have the energy to amend the soil any, the soil broke up nicely for me, on the dry side, and the grass was healthy there.

How soon should I feed it?

Sure hope it makes it, only one of this kind rooted for me. No one seems to know what it is, some kind of rambler or maybe moss rose, smells heavenly, I think. I'm pretty sure it suckers judging from the site I took it from.

{{gwi:264197}}

Comments (3)