SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inareverie85

Need help finding the ideal roses for my garden.

inareverie85
10 years ago

Hello, everyone. First post on Gardenweb. :)

I bought a new home last year and have finally set myself to the task of sprucing up the yard. My front is full of newly planted Gardenias, Azaleas, Japanese Magnolias, and Daylilies, but I would love to have a few centerpiece plants to enjoy in my back yard.

I would love to plant a few roses this year and give them until next year to establish before planting much else. They'll get more attention that way. :)

Problem is, I have noticed that roses often seem to get larger than many online vendors say in their listings, and I am also wanting a rose with flowers that won't quickly expire in my very warm and very humid zone.

I was hoping you all could help identify a few good choices in roses for me that fit a few criteria.

I really like the bloom form on hybrid tea roses - they aren't overcrowded with petals, but they are still full. Vendors online seem to term this form as an "exhibition" style, I believe?

All of the flowering shrubs and perennials I have are either white, purple, or pink, and I would like to stick to one of these three colors. I am less keen on salmon or hot pinks than I am on baby pinks.

Roses I have looked at are Barbra Streissand (sp), Falling in Love, and Moonstone for the hybrid teas. I'd have bought some of these today if I hadn't come across a thread here where some reported that their Moonstones had gotten over 7' tall! For aesthetic purposes (since the tree that they will be near is only about 9' tall), I'd prefer roses that do not exceed 5' but still have large blooms.

Also, I suppose more obvious, they must be OK with the full brunt of Southern Louisiana sun and humidity. :)

I would also love to have climbing roses to grow up the columns of my back patio, but they would have to be grown in pots (perhaps large pots) and not grow onto my roof!

I greatly appreciate any input you guys may have. I am totally new to the world or roses, and I look forward to learning from you all. :)

Comments (10)