SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

which soil test options to choose

njitgrad
9 years ago

Two years ago when I received a topsoil delivery for my new raised beds I had Rutgers do a basic soil test for me for $20. The results were pretty good (see photos of results below).

I am considering a followup test this week and I am wondering if I should get additional test options performed this time. I am having the tests done because the composition of my soil has changed due to things I've added in the last two years like vegetative compost, composted manure, worm castings, and vermiculite to name a few. In addition I've had trouble growing cucumbers the past two years.

The basic test (SOIL FERTILITY ANALYSES) includes: P, K, Ca, Mg, Cu, Mn, Zn, Fe, B and pH.

The next test (PROBLEM-SOLVER & SOIL SUITABILITY) includes the basic test PLUS the following: Soluble salt level, organic matter content and textural class. It costs $30 on top of the $20 basic test.

The last test (TOPSOIL EVALUATION) includes all of the above PLUS the following: sand/silt/clay percentages and gravel content. It costs $60 on top of the $20 basic test.

My assumption is that I should at least spring for the PROBLEM SOLVER & SOIL SUITABILITY test. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $30 to get the sand/silt/clay percentages and gravel content. Or is it????

{{gwi:285213}}

{{gwi:285214}}

{{gwi:41188}}

Comments (7)