SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

Just returned home from the swamp

flaurabunda
11 years ago

We spent a week in Louisiana and just got home last night. Unlike vacations past, we spent a lot of time noticing all of the plant life, landscaping, and everything native growing in town and in the swamps. It was just fabulous and really gives me an appreciation of just how different things can be in different areas.

Beyond suffering a really bad case of zone envy, I'm just in awe. The lilacs down there are the size of our garden shed and some are the most spectacular shade of bluish-purple--nothing like the light lavender up here. Our poor little Sago palm that needs to be brought inside during winter looks like a comedic interpretation of what we saw thriving outdoors along the Gulf.

And oh my--the Live Oaks! I've never seen massive trees with branches that curve back down & grow into the ground, just coated with Spanish moss. We visited Houmas House and spent more time in the gardens there than in the historic building. By the way, Louisiana wasps are less afraid of people than the ones up here. I think they could carry off a small bird! Oh, the dragonflies! So docile, large, and vibrant. Up here they flit about and fly away. Down there, they play with you, buzzing about your head and landing on your hands and arms. It was like a fairy tale.

It seemed like no matter where we were--gas station, plantation, or roadside motel--everyone took pride in their gardens and everything looked fabulous. People were knowledgeable about the native plants and ecosystems in the bayou & if we had a question, we could ask just about anybody. What a lovely, lovely place.

Comments (15)