SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtreporter_gw

should stepchildren return our house keys?

courtreporter
16 years ago

Am I wrong to tell husband to have his children return the keys to our house now that they have moved out?

Stepson just got his own apartment August 1st. He has been here every single day taking a shower, eating, making a complete mess and just coming and going as he pleases. Throws dirty laundry all over, room is a pigstye. I He never says hello, goodbye, drop dead, nothing, not a word!

His father finally asked him if he had a problem with me. He told his father that he "hates" me and that he has many problems with me. His father told him if he wants to keep coming in the house he as to respect me, that I am first and foremost and if he doesn't like it he can go. The son told his father that I told his families lies about him. We had an incident on Father's Day in which I wasn't sure to tell his father about. I ultimately did, and received father's support. Well, the son ran out of the house and took off but has been sneaking in and taking things while dad is at work.

On Father's Day ,I told son his girlfriend should not sleep at our house anymore (we still have a 15-yr old in the house). HIs father told him that at least five times already. So I told him very nicely and his response was "well, we were drunk" I told him, well then you need to drink less. If your girlfriend has to absolutely sleep here, let her go in the guest bedroom. He swiped at me and almost hit me in the nose/face. Father told him don't you ever, ever get in a woman's face, threaten her, intimidate her, etcetera. He totally went after his son for the incident.

Word travelled through the family gossip line and step son just found out that the family knows what he did.

Anyway the son just told his father he hates me, although he still continues to come here every day!

In spite of the bad history here, I don't want to give father the wrong advice about asking for the house key back. Should children be allowed to come and go as they please? What is the proper protocol for children and reentering the house when they leave. Obviously my view is tainted after the treatment I received from these children, so I would appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks!

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions