SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bev_w

Eastern Hemlock / Tsuga canadensis

bev_w
15 years ago

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can point me to online information regarding the effects of annual pruning on Eastern Hemlock trees. I'm particularly interested in the consequences for the long-term health of the tree.

We have an odd situation in my village. The local council has given permission to a particular person to "prune" the trees in the public park across the street. There are about a dozen hemlocks receiving annual overall tip-pruning of about 4 - 6". Some of the trees are being pruned into shapes that resemble teacups about 5' tall. The rest are being kept at a height of about 8 to 12 feet.

There is one unpruned tree that was planted at the same time as the pruned ones, and the "normal" tree is about twice the height of the others.

The pruning is being done in early March. We are in USDA zone 5b. The trees are on a flood plain, in full sun. They are planted about 20 feet apart.

The person doing this pruning has no training and cuts the trees according to messages she receives from God. No kidding. Our council thinks this is a good idea. There is some "history" here I'm surely not aware of and, as a newcomer to the area, I may not have a chance to change the situation but I'm going to try.

I don't care whether this person gets professional help-- she's not a danger to anyone. But I do care about the trees and I need some ammunition to support my case that the trees are being harmed by this treatment.

The local certified arborists won't help, not wanting to interfere with the council decision.

Any ideas? Online resources to help with my case?

Thanks in advance.

Bev

Comments (16)