SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briggsandcraftsman

General Lawn Tractor Talk

briggsandcraftsman
16 years ago

Hello all. I have browsed through this forum a few times, and I figured I'd say hello. There are many people here who deserve to be thanked for their help and patience, so I thank you in advance. I feel confident that I could come here and get some good advice if I needed it. So thank you guys/gals, you know who you are.....

Now on to my tractor. I just bought a used craftsman LT4000, 38" cut, with a 16hp Briggs Vanguard Twin. (It originally had the 14hp vanguard if you're confused). I put a new battery on it, and figured I better check everything out real well, and make sure she's ready to go for the season. What I found was that the original owner had absolutely no respect for maintenance. The oil filter was dented so bad from pliers (I think) that it was leaking everywhere, it had almost no oil in it (and it was black and burnt). So I changed the oil and slapped on a fresh purolator filter. Next was the fuel filter. I took the old one off, and it was black. It actually had blades of grass poking out of the end of it! Unbelievable. Then on to the air cleaner. Can you believe it was a factory air cleaner? Also black. I'm guessing that's why I was running so rich when I test ran it(black smoke seems to be gone now :).

I can't believe that some people can do so little in the preventative/scheduled maintenance of a tractor. I guess that's why it doesn't have it's factory engine, right?

This is an example of why maintenance is so important. I'm not a freak about it, either. I actually let things go a little longer than they probably should, but this kind of neglect WILL kill your tractor WAY before it's time.

So if you've never done the things I mentioned above, do them now. You'll get a lot more life out of your equipment.

BTW, is it true that people actually dump gas in their oil fill, and vice versa? I've seen several post about what to do if this happens. Wow.

Comments (5)

Sponsored