SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

RRD questions

Krista_5NY
15 years ago

I've been following discussions of RRD with interest.

I was wondering about roses that are in close proximity to a rose with RRD.

Can the disease be spread from canes of an infected rose that might come in contact with the canes of an uninfected rose, such as if the canes cross and scratch? Or does the rose have to have the mites on it to be infected?

I was also wondering about roses that have one infected cane, but the whole plant does not show symptoms yet.

If a rose cane has RRD symptoms, but only that cane on the plant has symptoms, does that suggest that the mites were feeding on that cane only, or might the mites have been on the entire rose plant, but some canes were somehow "resistant" to becoming infected by the mite?

When the rose plant first shows symptoms, is it more often only on a cane or two, or do the symptoms tend to show over many canes on the rose?

As I understand it, the disease progresses as it spreads from a cane and down to the root of the plant. Once it's in the roots it can spread throught the root system to kill of the entire plant.

So, sadly, even if only one cane shows symptoms, then the whole plant could be doomed anyway?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations