SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

What size pots should I use for these roses?

tuderte
9 years ago

I've just received a delivery of six old roses that I want to plant in my 'old rose garden'.

The roses are -

Lady Hillingdon (Tea - shrub)
Souvenir de la Malmaison (Bourbon - shrub)
Safrano (Tea - shrub)
Old Blush (China - shrub)
Sombreuil (Large flowered - climber)
Mlle. Cecile Brunner (Polyantha - shrub)

All the roses are, more or less, the same size as the Lady Hillingdon seen in the attached photo.

My only problem is that, because of the 'wettest Winter ever' in my part of the world and the constant rain all through Spring, the planting holes for the 'old rose garden' will now have to wait until Autumn to be dug.

All the roses have been delivered in 2.5 litre plastic pots. They are all 'own root' roses and have been grown in the pots in which they were delivered. I fear that these pots will be inadequate to see the roses through our hot, dry Summer.

I read in the 'Plastic Pots' thread by 'mauvegirl8' that Nik (nikthegreek) says he grows upwards of 40 roses in containers.

Nik, if you read my post, could you please advise me on what you consider an appropriate size container to use for the roses to see me through until, at least, the end of the year?

My local farm supply store stocks standard conical terracotta pots for very reasonable prices i.e. 25cm (10 inch) pots with a capacity of 6.7 litres (1.8 US gallons) cost 2.50 euro - if that's too small, they have many other sizes up to 37cm (14.5 inch) with a capacity of 18 litres (4.75 gallons) for 6.50 euro.

I would welcome any advice from people growing their old garden roses in containers as to what size containers they use.

Cheers
Tricia

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!