SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catankgirl

I think I'm accidentally vermi-composting!!!

catankgirl
15 years ago

So, I have one of those black, plastic compost bins from the city with a lid on top to add stuff and the little door on the bottom to get the "finished" compost out when you want. I loved it for about a year and got really into composting. Just normal composting, about 20 gallon, grass cuttings, dropped leaves, fruit/veggie scraps, ucgs, normal stuff.

But then I started to get frustrated. I stirred the pile obsessively nearly every day from the top with a pitchfork to hurry the process and the bin started breaking and falling apart. And I realized that from over-watering and too many greens (figs to be precise, yuck) that there was a lot of stuff in the back on the bottom that was compacted that I couldn't reach or stir.

Then something amazing happened, I ditched the pitchfork and started digging around in the bin when I wanted compost with my hand rake towards the bottom back where the good stuff was that handn't been touched in ages, and I found tons of worms!!! Beautiful, pink, little, squirmy worms that I did absolutley nothing of my own accord to get! Isn't that cool?

So, does that mean I'm vermi-composting? Should I just keep adding my food waste in there and try to keep them going? Also, when I go to harvest my compost to add to my garden, is it ok if there is a bunch of worms in there too? Will they dig down in my garden and live and do ok in there? Or should I try to fish them out and keep them in the bin?

One more thing? Is it weird I was so excited when I found the worms that I took pictures and want to post them?

Comments (13)