SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nytreeman

B&S 16.5 OHV New Head gasket but.......

nytreeman
15 years ago

Hi,new to this site already found some good info too,My problem is I have a 16.5 b&s model 31c777 type 0226,It got smoking bad,no power and had pressure in the crankcase.I figured a blown head gasket,which it was and I replaced it,but now even after adjusting the valves to stock specs it just doesn't want to start or if it does it has a backfire/popping from the carb which is definitely exhaust,the valves are working but the exhaust rocker doesnt seem to travel near as far as the intake does,if I gradually tighten the exhaust rocker while it's running it seems to run better but very flat sounding and still no power.checked the keyway,its fine,took the head back off the gasket is fine,the valves seem to be closing tight almost sounds like its a little out of time but with the piston at TDC the magnet on the flywheel lines up pretty close to the center of the coil,which I adjusted to spec,it has good spark,could this be the camshaft??with gears it doesnt seem these motors can jump time can they,at least not and still run ?My only other thought is that maybe the carb got all gummed up from the oil pumping into it from the breather and is too rich?if I put a little gas into the carb while running it instantly dies,also maybe oil has plugged the muffler?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions