SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonasmtwo

Lawnboy mower

jonasmtwo
14 years ago

I thought IÂd post about my Lawnboy push mower. All I want or need is for the thing to start and cut the grass the riding mower canÂt reach. None of the junk the (mercantile) establishment seems dedicated to foisting on a gullible market. Two cycle mowers seem to have been phased out because no one around here carries them. I think the Feds have outlawed them? I have a strip of grass along the front on a steep embankment; definitely not the thing to tackle regularly with a four cycle mower. So A week ago my Lawnboy quit. I put off looking at it as long as possible but two days ago, I pulled the cover and starting assembly off. No obvious problems and the technology must date back to when hand sickles were the latest thing. I took it into a dark garage and removed the plug. Connected the plug wire to it and ran a jumper to the engine block for the ground. No spark. I cut the Âon off wire that goes to the coil. Still no spark. My multimeter showed 330 ohms through the coil. I think the manual for the engine is probably mouse chewed and under years of junk so I guessed that wasnÂt what it should be. Besides manuals donÂt contain pertinent information, only pages that cover the makers butt regardless of what goes wrong. To make a long story short, and refrain from an all out rant, I purchased a coil ($35.00 online plus shipping) from a local lawnmower parts shop for what turned out to be about a 50 percent markup. The replacement coil shows 1.17K ohms as compared to the 330 ohms of the old one. I now learn that Lawnboy is NOTED for bad coils. My mower started on the first pull and I guess I should be happy, but somehow, my joy is tempered with the feeling that I have joined the ranks of foolish fellows who hope for, but never get a fair shake from manufacturer, merchant or government. I wonder how much a gallon of weed killer goes for?

Comments (10)