SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipperee

Compost: too brown, too wet, too...?

pipperee
10 years ago

So, it was finally warm enough this last weekend for our first yard work day of the season. I am fairly new to compost - I have one lovely batch of hot compost from last summer. Here's my puzzle:

I created a pile last fall with fall yard/garden cleaning and chicken coop wood shavings and droppings. It heated up once and then after I turned it it never really did again. And then it froze solid so I didn't think about it anymore. This last weekend I turned the pile, which was very wet and seemed to be heavy on the wood shavings (too much brown?). I expected it would get going again , but so far it's only bumped up to 70. It's been in high 50s, so at least there's something happening in there.

Now... We also cleaned out All the winter's chicken coop/pen shavings and droppings this past weekend. I tossed them in their own pile (18" deep maybe) in my bin and that is already up to 103 after a couple days.

Is my fall pile too wet? Does it need a hefty shot of nitrogen? Is it the nitrogen in my chicken coop browns that is getting my tiny new pile cooking?

Before I send my honey to to pee on my fall pile in the dark of the night (we're in the city), I figured I'd check with you all to see if I'm missing something basic.

Happy spring!

This post was edited by pipperee on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 23:51

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz