SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jopopsy

Regent or Broadmoor - help pls. !

jopopsy
15 years ago

Hey Gang,

Been awhile since I posted anything. Glad to see this forum is still active.

I am thinking of trading in my Snapper RER in favor of a Simplicity - when I originally purchased the Snapper last year my yard was quite a bit smaller. Over the past year I've really extended the yard a bit to the point that the 28" deck on the RER is on the minimum end of where I want to be.

I'm not interested in the Deere X300 series as the K58 tranny starts beyond the X304 (and I'm not spending X320 money if I can help it). Now, the astute among you will say the entry broadmoor is 4300, but I can get it significantly cheaper at my dealer (who is also going to give me a nice $$ for my RER trade).

SO.

I'm down to the Regent or the Broadmoor.

I can get the 38" Broadmoor for the same price as the 44" Broadmoor. Or I can save a good $1400 and get a 20/38 Regent.

So now I'm looking at what the 1400 buys me w/ the Broadmoor. Considering I'm getting the bigger deck and the Vanguard engine w/ the Broadmoor, I assume that is a good chunk of the price. Is the Vanguard overkill, or is the ELS V-Twin perfectly fine?

As for as the Tranny, according to Tuff Torq's website the K57 has the same torq as the K46 - I can only infer that the 57 is somehow more durable.

Also, the frame is heavier duty on the Broadmoor.

But do I NEED all this stuff? Mind you the RER cut the grass fine, I just want to save myself some time.

I don't plan on doing any ground engaging stuff (the K57 isn't labeled ground engaging according to TT anyway). Maybe pull a plug aerator and a cart at some point. That's about it.

As far as the yard, there are trees. 90% is pitched but flat, only my front yard (small area) is significantly sloped (take that to mean I won't go side to side on it, and when going uphill on the RER I'm leaning forward in order to not pull a wheelie). If that's confusing, I'm on a culdesac (so I have a pie lot) and the front yard is not very big at all but it slopes down towards the creek.

Is the Regent 'enough' tractor? I hate buying things multiple times, but at some point you pass the sweet spot.

What say you guys?

Jopopsy

Comments (29)

• notacop
    15 years ago

I am far from an expert but if it were my money I would go for the Vanguard if I had the means.

The engine is probably the single most costly repair on a tractor, and the vanguard is known as one of the best lines of engines you can get. And that is completely ignoring the different transaxle...

If it were me and I decided to get the regent I would always be second guessing myself every time I fired it up.

How long do you plan on keeping the tractor? How will they both hold their value equally or will you get back a bulk of that extra $1400 when you decide to get rid of it?

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

I have a Simplicity Broadmoor, with a 12 h.p. replacement for a 14 h.p., and it does my sloped lawns just right. It also has the auxiliary blower for the bagger, but i don't use it.
    I also use a Snapper Hi-vac rider for some of the mowing, with the larger deck and bagger. It has surprised me a few times with the bucking horse trick, but has never thrown me off!
    The Simp. came as a gift with a blown engine, is why the lower hp, but it doesn't seem to detract from the operation of it, nor the results!

• Related Discussions

Simplicy Regent or JD X304 or Kubota T2080

Q

Comments (3)
    I would go with the Simplicity Broadmoor. I am very pleased mine. Here is a link that might be useful: link to broadmoor review
    ...See More

LX266, Regent, or Baron?

Q

Comments (3)
    I passed on the Baron...may regret that as it a very rare piece and may have value to a hobbyist one day. My Dad had a GTO that is apparently worth a lot of cash nowadays..sold it for $300 back in the 70s. Guess this will be my GTO. On to a new post about my new ride.
    ...See More

Broadmoor 16hp engine

Q

Comments (3)
    I have the brochures from 04 , 05 , 06 , and the last year 16 horse engines were available in the Broadmoor was 04 with a 16 Horse Kohler single and Vanguard or Honda 16 horse twins . If this is the $2600 tractor from your earlier post I'd still get it if it's new as that's probably dealer cost or close to it for that machine which is basically unchanged from a current Broadmoor except for the engine choices . A mystery as to why they're insisting it's an 06 though , but the dealer I bought my Broadmoor from thought the Home Depot Deeres were made by Murray instead of in the old Scotts Tennessee plant by Deere . Researching this from the brochures I realized my Broadmoor is an 05 when I noticed the 02/05 date on the bottom of my owners manual - they told me it was an 04 leftover and gave me a discount accordingly . So while dealers may not know the product they are selling as well as the consumer , what really matters is the deal you get on a quality machine and $2600 (basically a Regent price) for a Broadmoor with that smooth Vanguard engine and a 44" deck is a great deal .
    ...See More

Simplicity Regent

Q

Comments (4)
    It's a tough call; I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I bought my Simplicity Regent in 06, and the dealer had some 05 models in stock, and a brochure for the 06 models. I chose an 05 with the 18HP Vanguard and a 40 inch dedicated mulching deck (the deck seems to be sold only in Europe). The deck hanging arrangement and suspension is different in the newer model. I don't know if it is an improvement, but it is different! There are also some minor features on the 06 model like an hours meter, power socket, and cruise control. The 05 is a little shorter, which may help in any tight spaces. In UK, the V-twin engine / 40 inch mulching deck combination was not available in the 06 model, and this was the decider for me to go with the 05 model. The price also dropped a little with the 06 model - probably mainly due to the lower cost engines. The 06 model seems to have gained some weight, so the amount of material used hasn't dropped if that is an indicator of quality.
    ...See More
  • sdeg3stannic
    15 years ago

Jopopsy,

I have a 2008 19/38 Regent with the Kohler Courage Engine. It replaced a 40yr old broadmower. To date I am very happy with this machine. I mow 3/4 acre, areate, and sweep my lawn with a 42" sweeper. This tractor has plenty of pull and has proven to be just right for my needs. From my perspective, you probably don't "need" the broadmower as the Regent is very capable. I'd consider saving the money. Best thing to do is drive both, and decide which you prefer. Good luck.

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To be honest I'm hoping the Regent will fit the bill. Peace of mind for upsizing something is nice, but that's real money there. Keeping in mind my current rig is a 28" RER, pretty much anything is a upgrade.

• larso1
    15 years ago

So the way I read it, you're thinking of going from a meager 28" cut to a whopping 38", and spending that kind of cash?

Slammer's Rules! Does anybody have a copy of Slammer's Rules?! (LOL!) If you can get a 48-in. deck thru the narrowest path on your yard, I think that's what you should get. That's the best way to maximize the dollars for this new purchase (IMHO).

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a good point. If I were to get the Broadmoor I'd probably get the bigger one since he offered it. The question becomes, is $1100 bucks worth the differance between a 22/44 Regent w/ a Briggs ELS Twin vs. a 20/44 Broadmoor w/ a Briggs Vanguard.

Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on Fri, May 1, 09 at 15:09

So the way I read it, you're thinking of going from a meager 28" cut to a whopping 38", and spending that kind of cash?
    Slammer's Rules! Does anybody have a copy of Slammer's Rules?! (LOL!) If you can get a 48-in. deck thru the narrowest path on your yard, I think that's what you should get. That's the best way to maximize the dollars for this new purchase (IMHO).

• rcbe
    15 years ago

Larso - Ask and...

Repost of Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Now go forth and shop and try and have fun!

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RE: rcbe / Slammer's rules

Going to a Regent WOULD be 1 step up from what I currently have. Going to the Broadmoor would be 2 full steps (in my eyes).

Its always comfortable to say 'I bought the best', but I'm only mowing .5 acres .... anything I buy would have a light duty cycle no?

Trust me, if the household CFO were not involved I'd already be posting pictures of the Broadmoor. :P BUT, the reality is I have to really way this out - especially since she's already T'd off about spending more money as it is.

• deercub
    15 years ago

Read all the posts on the briggs els's then ask us the question again if the vanguard is worth it.

Anyway get the broadmoor and enjoy it.

• nysff
    15 years ago

I assume your getting a very good deal on the Broadmoor. List on a X320 with a Kawa/K58 and 48" deck is $4099. Broadmoor list is $4300-4950 and that's with a K57, which is in the same class as the K46 per TT info, not the K58 which they market for the HD lawn tractor segment. At least on paper, it's more $$ for less. If you want premium power with a K46/K57, why not a X300? A 20/44 Regent with a Courage and a K46 is $2800 list. $200 more gets you the premium engine in the X300 with the same K46. From an engine/transaxle perspective, seems like you clearly get more from Deere in the X300 series vs. either the Regent or the Broadmoor. If you're concerned about overspending on the Broadmoor to get the Vanguard, X300 gets you into premium power for $1000+ less list and you don't have to think about the Regent's Courage or Intek.???

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RE: Nysff

Hard to argue your points - the X320 is more rig then I need (deck is too big). So if you drop back down to the X300 - you're right I'm getting a premium engine with the same tranny as a Regent coupled with a Kawa motor. And a 4 year warranty.

Me thinks I need to call the Deere dealer .... If he can come close w/ my trade I might do it !

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I called my local JD Dealer. He will play ball w/ my trade so now I have a decision to make. I'm considering the X300 w/ the 42" mulching deck (I'd rather mow 2 successive days if it gets high then bag. Piles of dead grass smell bad and are ugly to look at)

I've pretty much decided that the Broadmoor is probably overkill for what I need. Thanks to Nysff on that one - I'm really looking at the frame, engine, tranny, and deck as upgrades on the Broadmoor.

W/ the Deere, I can eliminate frame and engine easily (1 gauge differance in frame is not a deal breaker for me, and the Kawa motor is par w/ the Vanguard). The tranny upgrade would be nice, but aside from a charge pump in the K57 its not much differant then the K46. I won't be pulling carts up hills or anything so not a big deal. In fact, I may only pull a plug aerator around. That leaves the deck. The deck I believe is better on the broadmoor, but I can get that deck on a Regent.

Oh, the Deere has a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty (save wear / tear items).

SO.

I can get a 22/44 Regent for $256 LESS then the X300. Same hydro, better deck, but lesser engine (ELS on the Regent, Kawa on the X300). Oh, and the Regent is 1 gauge thinner on the frame.

Hrm ... choices choices.

• notacop
    15 years ago

Is the dealer support identical? Which dealer is closer to you? Which will take better care of you should something arise? Do they both stock parts that you will need in the future (belts, filters, etc)?

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Deere dealer is really close, the Simplicity dealer is about 20 mins away. Both have been at it a long time and I am comfortable with both. The Deere dealer does have better hours though.

• notacop
    15 years ago

-22 hp ELS vs 17hp Kawasaki
    -The Deere's turning radius is 2" bigger (16" vs 14")
    -Deere includes mulch kit

Is striping important to you? If so that might make the Simplicity the top contender.

For me the Kawasaki engine tips the scales to the Deere. You said yourself that you are not hauling carts up hills or anything like that, so the extra power is not a huge issue, but the Kawasaki will give better long term durability than the ELS engine.

I would get a written quote from the Simplicity dealer and take it into the Deere dealer and see if he can match the price.

If you go with the Simplicity let him know what you are cross shopping for roughly the same price and see if he will throw in a set of Gator blades (assuming he is a dealer).

Times are tough, dealers are looking to make deals. Get them to knock the price down as low as possible then have them throw in a few extras.

• larso1
    15 years ago

One more question to ask yourself;

"Will it run like a Deere?" heh heh

• sergeant
    15 years ago

Just want to point out that you can get a X320,X324,X340 and a X360 with a 42inch deck if you want. That has always been the case even though Deere doesn't show it with one a 42inch will fit any of those Lawn Tractors just fine.

• mbsl98
    15 years ago

When you say the Deere will have the mulching deck, do you mean that it will have the 42C convertible deck with a mulch kit, or the fantastic Freedom 42 dedicated, mulching only, deck? If you go with the Freedom deck, you can't ever bag, but it is probably the best deck for mulching ever made. The Deere with Fredom deck would be my choice hands down for what you describe.

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what deck it was coming w/. I just asked for the dedicated mulching deck model that listed for 3100.

Did not know I could get a X320 and swap the deck. Something to look into.

Realistically from a upgrade perspective the Regent 20/38 is probably enough of a upgrade for the lawn I have - but I feel its a double whammy with the K46 AND the ELS motor. I don't know, maybe I'm being silly. Keep circling back to the X300 as maybe being the sweet spot.

• lkbum_gw
    14 years ago

I'm still really pleased with my broadmoor and considered the same deere. The link below may help with your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: broadmoor review

• dan_the_man63
    14 years ago

Jopopsy,

I was in the same boat as you 3 yrs ago. It was between a Deere 300 or a Broadmoor. I chose the Broadmoor with a 18 hp Kohler Command (single cylinder) and a 44" deck. It's been a great machine.

I think the Simplicity is easier to maintain oneself than the Deere. The deck is very easy to remove and does not have the need to be balanced. It gives my lawn a great cut and has all the power I need. It's too bad Simplicity didn't keep the Kohler Command in the Broadmoor. It saved me a lot of money by not getting the Vanguard.

Dan

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan, how much grass do you mow with it? My .5 acres is not much ...

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went w/ the X300 dedicated mulcher. It was the best value.

• dan_the_man63
    14 years ago

I mow between .5 and .75 of an acre. Obviously I don't need that much tractor. But...with a 44" deck it takes half of the time a riding mower would. I can pull a heavy cart and other implements like an aireator, dethatcher and a lawn sweeper in the fall for leaves.

I have also had some health issues since I bought mine and have kicked around getting a snow blade for the winter.

It's much more useful than just mowing the lawn. Saves time and sweat with the proper attachments.

Dan

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Simplicity dealer had a leftover Broadmoor from last year, but it was still 900 more then I could get the X300 for w/ the dedicated mulcher. I feel satisfied that I have a solid rig w/ a commercial engine and a adequate tranny (my yard is pretty much flat except that small front part). Even the Simplicity dealer said the Deere X300 should last as long as the Broadmoor - and he used to sell Deere's up until 2 years ago. So that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

• larso1
    14 years ago

Congrats jopopsy, you made a wise choice.....heh heh. I would really like to try out a mulching deck sometime to see how well they do. Let us know about the cutting performance, I'm sure a lot of us would like to know. I understand that deck also has a removable gate so that you're not locked into mulching-only if the grass gets too long or wet. The specs say it has an "in-line belt." Guess you don't have to worry about the timed toothed belt skipping some teeth as on the previous Freedom 42 Deck either?

• notacop
    14 years ago

Were you able to talk the JD dealer down any further?

• jopopsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

RE: Larso1
    Yes, it has a removable baffle on the back of the deck via pins on the top of the deck. This effectively makes it a rear discharge. The blades are offset (not side to side like the normal deck) and they are counter-rotating. I'm told this keeps the grass bouncing around in the deck longer so it can get chopped more. Makes sense to me - the dealer was adamant that the dedicated mulching deck would outperform the standard deck w/ the mulch kit (it better if its dedicated !).

My 28RER w/ the mulch kit did a nice job, so I'm interested to see how this works. It'll have its work cut out for it - its been raining for over a week in PA and my grass is way out of control - I'm going to have to mow it 2x's in 3 days just to get it back under control.

Re: notacop - no. He went down a 100 from list and he gave me 900 for my RER. He's not a Snapper dealer so I thought the trade was fair - it was 100 off what the Simplicity/Snapper dealer was going to give me. That dealer told me he could give me that much b/c he has the parts and folks to pretty it up for resale - the Deere dealer doesn't.

I was also told, for any who care, that the K46 and its earlier variant were standard equipment in the older Deere LT series tractors - I never heard about widespread tranny failures in those so that made me feel a lot better.

Looking forward to reving the Kawa up after listening to the single cylinder intek bang away for the past year. :P

• dan_the_man63
    14 years ago

That's great news jopopsy! The Deere 300 is a solid machine. Wait till you see how fast you can mow your yard now! Enjoy...

Dan

Sponsored