SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buford2b

Echo PB251 Blower versus Stihl BG55

buford2b
16 years ago

I need a gas blower. I can't take the tangled xtension cords. There's a reason why the word tension is in extension cord. After looking and researching all of the throw away brands, I have narrowed it down to the Echo PB251 or the Stihl BG55. Echo has a great informative web site with parts diagrams to see whats inside. Stihl has a crappy website that states only the dealers are worthy of viewing their parts diagrams, not the general public. That's all of us that are buying their equipment. The Echo has ball bearings on the crankshaft. Thats good. The Stihl dealer said the BG85 has ball bearings but he does not know what the BG55 has. The BG55 does however have 2 piston rings where the PB251 only has 1. Funny, most all of the other Echo blowers have 2 rings. I e-mailed them and Suzie the company spokeswoman quoted their exact vortex hype in the literature and also stated the 1 ring was also a commercial engine. She did also state that the engine was manufactured by their Kioritz Japanese company. If the Japanese actually make it and not farm it out to Taiwan , then I would consider that a big plus. The BG55 is completely made in the US by Mexicans or West Virginia Rednecks. Not that I have anything against Asians. The stihl dealer said the diference between the 55 and the 85 was a commercial engine and a different impeller/venturi design. From what I can see, the flat tube versus the round tube is the big difference in air speed. I believe the stihl models are tried and true as they have been around for some time now. The Echo is a new model with relatively no viewer reviews and possibly made to compete with the crap brands ,possibly skimping on the commercial quality that seems to be inherent with the Stihl brand. Any gut feelings on which on is better. Thanks all

Comments (15)