SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micropropagator

Build Sprayer from a Leaf Blower

micropropagator
18 years ago

I am in a desperate situation. Harlequin Bug and a pink Aphid are killing my brassica plants (cabbage - Kohlrabi - rutabaga - turnips - japanese and Chinese radishes. For example I had 5 rows of rutabagas, each row had 120 plants. Each plant was about 10 inches across and now two row have no plants.

After a week of no success, today I used 4 gallons of water + 160 grams Trend dry detergent + 160 g rancid canola oil. The viscosity seemed to be same as water alone and the emulsion was as clear as water.

I connected a 2.5 gallon plastic paint bucket to the out spout of my 'Weed Eater' leaf blower (ground sweeper). It blew a nice mist 10 feet. It wet the bottom of most of the leaves except rutabaga. 6 feet of 1/4 inch PVC clear tubing runs from bottom of paint bucket to a thin plastic pipe over the out tube of the electric leaf blower. To avoid electrical shock, I avoid water getting into the blower by keeping the out tube pointed down and air space drains any water away from the tube. I will install a circuit interrupter right away.

By my calculations the spray was about 1% detergent and 1% cooking oil. The spraying went very fast. I do not yet know if I killed any Harlequin bugs or pink aphids. I had a lush brassica patch 2 weeks ago. Since the plants were dying very fast, I would appreciate any ideas which will improve this spray or sprayer.

If this works, I will give complete info for building on my website by next year. at www.indbio.com

Comments (2)