SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

One damn thing after another

User
12 years ago

Moaning again, I know but Blimey, Zephirine Drouhin looks an utter disaster this year. Totally chlorotic, badly leafed out and absolutely riddled with aphids. Much as I want to believe in the balance of nature and all that, there is nothing, NOTHING natural about my minuscule garden - it is 100% total artifice. Even so, I have consistently baulked at spraying insecticides of any stripe and we somehow stumble along fairly OK. This year, poor ole Zephy looks so shocking that I am thankful it is placed on an arbour thingy, above my eyesight line. Won't be getting any sort of spring show - there are about a quarter of the usual buds.

So, I have to wonder why. ZD is not an easy rose for me (mildew, BS) but manages a great spring flush before defoliating in August then growing a nice autumnal crop of new red leaves. I have 2 of them and if they are gone, there will likely never be a replacement rose because of rose replant but also because they are in densely planted, concrete, raised beds, next to a wall - the upheaval would be enormous. And therein lies the problem because I raised a bed around ZD this spring.....and changed the soil levels quite substantially (at least 6 inches). Yep, I knew it was not the best idea and maybe I should have taken the opportunity to whip the troubling ZDs out when it was easy to do so but, hindsight, yah know....So, while I am OK to give it a chance, especially after I am the rose murderer, I think, there is a chance it might be curtains if the damage is too bad.

I am fairly immune to plant death and can either tip the deceased into the compost, surreptitiously or simply let them fade away whilst I artfully arrange leafy camouflage, but when it is the biggest plant in the garden, it is mortifying for both the pitiful sight of a sick plant and the slap to my reputation as a mistress of the plant universe (at least in my own head).

Comments (24)