SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

weird electrical problem on Craftsman DLT2000

coeng
15 years ago

I'm having a weird electrical problem on my 6 year old Craftsman DLT 2000.

A few weeks ago I had a difficult time starting it. It felt like the battery was weak (it was barely cranking) but it still turned over and I was able to mow.

The following week I tried to start it but it sounded like the battery was dead at that point. It only cranked half a turn and that was it. I connected my Coleman jump start battery and after a few attempts it finally turned over and I was able to mow.

After I mowed the lawn I took the battery out, went to my local auto parts store, had it checked and was told it was just fine. I decided to get a new battery anyway just to rule the battery out as being the problem.

I put the new battery in yesterday (more powerful than the Craftsman battery) and same deal. It wouldn't even start to crank. I connected the Coleman jump start battery and it finally turned over. After leaving it on for a minute, I shut it off. After that I couldn't start it again with or without the jump start battery.

It seems like its taking an unusual amount of juice to get this thing started. Any idea what the problem could be?

I'm not a mechanic but I am very meticulous in my maintenance of this tractor. Among other things, every winter the battery is disconnected and connected to a trickle charger until Spring.

I have an appointment with Sears repair on Tuesday morning but I'm hoping I can resolve this on my own and cancel the appt.

Comments (6)