SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froggedd

yipee!! hot compost

frogged
12 years ago

Ok I know some of you folks will be saying so but for me this is exciting! Tonight if you were my nieghbour you would have seen me first check my compost bin, then do a little happy hop when I saw a bit of steam. Then you would have seen me go back into the house and come back with a thermometer,then do another little happy dance as the temp kept going up and up. Then you would have seen me go back again into the house and come back with a camera. Cause this is unusual for me, and I wanted proof and a picture to remember. I normally just throw in stuff in the bins as I get it and compost slowly. Last week I got my hands on 100lbs of expired animal feed (free) So I wet it down with 4 buckets of pond water and mixed in with last years falls leaves and grass that was already breaking down, mixed and mixed and mixed. It took and entire bin (4x4x3ft)of leaf mixture to get the feed mixed in, but it was worth it cause I got hot compost :)My thermometer only goes to 120F I don't know how much hotter it would have gone. Debated using my candy thermometer but that would have been going over the line for me.... Looking forward to using this spring.

{{gwi:281459}}
{{gwi:281461}}{{gwi:281462}}{{gwi:281463}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting