SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonydav_gw

Chainsaw recommendation (Stihl, Husqvarna)

tonydav
15 years ago

Hi,

I've read just about every message on this forum (and several others) on chainsaw choice. Think I'm more confused now than when I started so think I should just post my question.

Just some background: My wife and I have a 2.5 acre block of forest style land that we're building on in the next year. I've organised it to be cleared with the contractor initially pushing the trees over then a mate and I will cut the roots and rubbish off, then the contractor will put them in two piles - one for burning, one for keeping.

I estimate there is about 40-50 trees in the 3/4 acre we're clearing most about 8 inches diameter. There are about a dozen that are closer to 2 foot or bigger.

So I need a chainsaw to do the initial trimming of these trees, and then over time I'll be cutting them up and splitting them for firewood.

I'm looking at either a Stihl or Husqvarna chainsaw.

Spoke to the local Husky dealer on the weekend who recommended a 365 with 20" chain. Think this is in their semi-pro lineup.

Quite liked the look and feel of it but then I don't know much about chainsaws. Certainly started easily which I liked.

There's 3 things I'm not sure on:

1. Is the 365 too big for what I need. Whilst I think it will be good for the initial clearing should I be getting a smaller saw for my ongoing use over the next 20 or so years (I'm hoping in normal use it will last that long?)

2. Is the 365 a good model or should I be looking at the pro lineup with the obvious cost penalty?

3. What would be the equivalent Stihl and what advantages/disadvantages does that model offer (without starting a war...)

Thanks,

Tony

Comments (5)