SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kssue

Huskee loses forward motion in 2nd gear

kssue
11 years ago

I have an old TSC Huskee model B3912-230 with a 12HP Briggs & Stratton model 280707, type 0411-02, code 91050311. I am b-a-a-aack for my annual post on our 20-year-old dinosaur, which for the most part is running fine and cutting well, little idiosyncrasies aside and/or worked around.

This year's vexing issue is a significant loss of forward motion drive under load when mowing in second gear; it pulls fine in first pretty much thru anything at any angle or incline and I have to downshift to first when it just bogs down and won't move, eg, currently, going up the slightest incline in the turf; it's fine when the slope is flat or slightly downhill. Just seems to have gotten significantly worse last couple mowings.

The blade drive is fine and cuts without incident; that belt was replaced a season or two ago. The engine does not seem to be laboring or losing power when it slows down; I believe it sounds the same but I would have to have my hubby listen to be sure since I am hearing impaired.

I suspect the motion drive belt probably needs to be replaced since it acts as though the engine is not transmitting power to the transaxle and when you look down at the section of the belt visible thru openings in the floor of the mainframe by the shifter when it's running, it almost looks loose and vibrating back and forth excessively. Today I tried to adjust the belt tension via the clutching idler pulley and set it to the mower manual specs with brake/clutch petal straight up and down. Also checked the engine mount bolts and tightened, which helped a similar symptom in the past, and took it for a spin. But still no significant improvement. I really don't want to mow in first gear; I'll fall asleep.

I am wondering if this sounds like the transaxle might be going bad, or is the belt a more likely culprit? I don't think it has been changed in the 15 years we have had it since it's rather a pain to get to without removing the deck (it's just about the only thing I HAVEN'T replaced, lol), but it makes sense that the belt may be slipping. Logical next step? Or should I try something else? I think the pulleys are all ok if a little slick in the groove (unless that's bad), but no damage that I can see upon perfunctory inspection. Thanks as always for the great advice...Walt, Mownie, rcbe, et al, glad to see you are all -still out here! :)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions