SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

drainage ditch vs burying pots for the winter - results

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

Ok, I have been posting about how successful I have been in keeping large potted roses over the NH winter in a deep ditch in back of the barn, covered with leaves and then letting snow fill it it. And of course, this winter, it was only leaves except for the Halloween storm that melted.

Also this past winter, I had ten small pots that had been spring bands that never got out of their gallons. For those, I felt that they were just too small to risk - in previous years, the small pots had been the only ones that didn't do well in the ditch. So I dug a trench in the vegetable garden, laid the first two on their sides, canes in, and the center of the ditch, and then laid the remaining pots in two rows, canes against the side of the previous pot, so finished with a row of five on each side, facing the center. Then I covered them with soil.

This spring -

of the five big guys in the ditch, only the rugosa hybrid sucker dug up in late summer made it through looking good. Canes on the other four - dead or nearly so, probably won't even try to keep them.

of the ten little guys in the garden - everyone was lifted with green canes, and two of them had actually poked through the surface and had leaves!

So - if no snow, I need to have a backup to protect anything I put in the ditch, other than the oak leaves I pile on when they go in. And if in a gallon, the garden ditch and soil is the way to go.

Comments (2)