SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

What to do with this smelly mess ???

kqcrna
16 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I spread some finished compost (well, almost finished), which had been cold composting all winter. My friend's 4 year old granddaughter wanted to play in the dirt, too. I told her she could help build the new batch.

I was using mostly freshly cut grass, shredded leaves, a few coffee grounds, some brown yard waste. The little princess had a ball. I made the mistake of letting her add water with a sprinkling can. Man, she's fast!

Fast foreward 2 weeks. I knew I had to flip and aerate that pile. I almost passed out from the stench. I added some more dry leaves, and topped with leaves. In the covered bin, it's not too noticeable unless you get close.

I have been composting for many years. Occasionally it gets too wet or smelly, and is easily remedied by adding some leaves and flipping to aerate. Somehow, I don't think that's going to be enough here. My husband was having fits. It smells like someone crawled in and died. I don't dare spread it out on the ground to dry. I live in suburbia and houses are close. My neighbors would run me out of town.

If left to sit a long time, flipped a few times, will it improve? I don't know what else I can do with it. I really dread ever flipping it again, it's THAT bad.

But the little princess had fun. Neither her parents nor grandparents garden, so she has no exposure to gardening. When we finished I took her in the house, washed her hands, and gave her a pop. Then I paid her $1 for "helping". She went back to Grandma's house saying "Karen gave me 100 dollars!". If I had it to do over, I'd let her help.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Karen

Comments (9)