SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Be careful what you ask for; you might (CRASH!!) get it

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

Recently I posted a thread in which I wished for abundant quantities of mulch; well, the gods have answered my prayer, in their own humorous fashion.
Two days ago we went down to the shade garden to have a look at our neighbors' landslide which is slipping toward our property. As I looked out over the trees I saw that the profile of the woods had something wrong with it; an instant later I realized that our mature black locust on which 'Treasure Trove' climbs was in large part no longer there: a good half the tree, and the rose, were missing, and the remaining half was inclined at an odd angle.
Oh my gosh. Down we went to investigate, and found forty feet or so of tree and thirty feet of rose sprawled through the garden. We had had another vigorous storm the previous night and morning, and the tree (with the addition of the rose to catch the wind) couldn't take it and split down the middle. I knew that sooner or later that locust was going to fail: they're not long lived trees and this one was a mature specimen. But I was thinking in terms of a decade from now, not this month.
With yesterday's rain ended DH descended this morning with his chain saw and went to work, while I was busy with lopper and pruners, spreading bits of locust about the place. The rose I plan on leaving where it is until it's done blooming, at which point we'll see whether we can continue downhill the pergola by the locust that already keeps the rose off our heads and heave the rose, or as much of it as we can manage, up onto it. And I think we need to cut down the rest of the locust, which in its current state is an accident waiting to happen. This is a good time to work on paths down there, as I now have plenty of logs for steps. I'm sorry to lose the locust, and not just because of the rose. They're in flower now and very beautiful, and I like how locusts look in spite of their practical inconveniences: their weak wood, shortish lives, and suckering. But beautiful all the same. I wonder if I couldn't start a planting of black locusts where they could romp all they wanted without interfering with my planting schemes. They look wonderful with elderberries, also in bloom right now, another plant that's rather difficult in the garden.
Melissa

Comments (16)