SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riku_gw

R. Primula and other near species for zone 3 Prairie winters

riku
16 years ago

R. Primula has gone through two winters with no protection and no damage worth mentioning - maybe an 1/8 inch on four foot canes, and therefore definitely making the Zone 3 grade. Leafing out is about 1/3 done and maybe 6 hours at a stretch of direct sun during the day - glad I took the test with this rose.

So far the "species and near species" list below consistently give a very hardy trend in my garden (0 to 10% die back) and all get no protection. Some have higher die back where noted but I include them as they are a surprise to me that they don't die to the ground.

I omit the rugosas as they are generally well behaved except where their genes have been messed up too much and they bear little resemblance to rugosas - not hardy in my zone 3.

Persian Yellow, Le Reve (20%-25% die back), Kimberly Rose, R. cinnomomea plena, R.hemisphaerica, R. hugonis, R. moyesii, R. primula, R. glauca, White Star of Finland, Geranium, Highdownensis, Marguerite Hilling, Nevada, R.Moyesii,

Austrian Copper,Harrisons Yellow, Double Blush Burnet, Dunwich Rose, Karl Förster, Mary Queen of Scots, R. spinosissima, William III (seems to have got better with time for cane retention - Rob Burns still has no back bone), Williams Double Yellow

Soleil d' Or - a word of clarification and caution though with this rose. For 2 winters when there was no blackspot episodes the rose was 90% hardy (10% cane die back at most with no protection) but last two seasons of blackspot attacks seem to have weaken it for winter. This year I had to lop the 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick canes down to 18 inch to try and encourage a better form.

Alika - a gallica of note, all gallicas are tender in my garden except this apparently Siberian Hansen import - extremely hardy.

Comment (1)