SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevrlychen

chipper/shredder

bevrlychen
18 years ago

The two chipper/shredders I have had have been a hassle. I prefer electric because it is not as polluting as a gas machine would be (I'm in an urban area). I wear a mask to protect my eyes and throat and it leaves deep lines in my face which are unattractive (lasting a day or so). I need to use it near the house because that is where the outlet is and I'm on a hillside and the flat area is near the house; the machine creates dust which settles on the windows and is generally messy. I frequently either blow fuses or, most recently, burnt the plug and toasted the extension cord. I have a 12 year old 1.5 hsp Baker (the company doesn't exist any more). I'm 63 years old and relatively strong and persevering but this machine is heavy and not fun to move about. Despite all of these complaints I love the idea of having a self-sustaining garden where I re-cycle instead of carting everything to the dump and then driving to a store to buy bags of mulch (a stupid idea). My garden is 1/3 to 1/2 acre in size so I have a lot of debris, especially this year following a winter of heavy rain, and since I don't use any pesticides I know it's all good stuff. I know this sounds like a rant, but what to do? Should I admit defeat or buy a new, more expensive, more powerful chipper/shredder hoping it will be effective, dependable and trouble free?

Comments (6)