SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kailleanm

Tree for tight corner question again

kailleanm
16 years ago

Hi all,

I am seeking your tree recommendations for a spot close to my house in the backyard. I want to place the tree roughly in the spot where the yellow chair is in the photos below, taken last summer, our first in this house.

My main goal is to partially screen the corner of my neighbours house. They are going to be adding an additional storey this summer. This will compound the privacy issues even more.

I have some evergreen clematis filling in along the fence, but definitely need more vertical privacy. The distance between my house and the fence is 10'.

I want height, but probably a narrow form. I have considered arborvitae, junipers and the like, but am leaning more towards something deciduous. I tend to like a looser, more open form better, but do appreciate the virtues of narrow conifers and the like.

Ttrees I've been considering include Heptacodium Miconioides, and Fagus Sylvatica 'Purple Fountain', maybe alongside an Arborvitae or something. Also considering Acer circinatum (vine maple).

I'd be very appreciative of other ideas. We have wet winters and dry summers to contend with. The area in question is on the southeast corner of my house and is in full sun. Multi-season interest is always a bonus.

I'm not a nervous nelly about trees close to the house, but I have to be reasonably respectful of my neighbour. So I can't have anything with a canopy too large. They will be okay with minimal overhang. The taller I can go the better. And I need to be able to walk under it to pass alongside my house.

Don't take too much notice of the bed along the back of house, that area is being converted to a potager walk. The old camellia and dead espaliered fruit tree are being yanked out. Other trees in the yard (the ones that are staying) include 3 large rhodos, a vine maple, and an ailing 40' Western White Dogwood.

TIA, Kaillean

{{gwi:330840}}
{{gwi:330842}}
{{gwi:330843}}

Comments (13)