SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranialgirl

How to turn compost pile

cranialgirl
15 years ago

I have a 3 bin composting system, home-made with chicken wire around tall stakes. I am not a good composter, up until now have not worried much about what amounts of green/brown went in at all, just dumped what was available. I would liek to get better at it since my schedule is allowing me much better gardening time. And I am as organic as I possibly can be at the skill level I am at right now. My back does not allow me to climb up and "turn" my 3 ft high pile the traditional way. I get exceedingly slow compost, but compost none the less, eventually.

My husband decided he wanted to buy me a tumbler. I read the majority of experience here and decided against it, thinking my money and effort would be better served doing a better job with what I have.

I have a large yard, lots of trees for leaves, 2 horses for manure, lots of wildlife, but so far no trouble out of the pile, maybe because of the dogs, who do like to stand there occasionally with their nose in the air and longing in their eyes. I am thinking of trying to get some local places or people to let me have their scraps. That would really allow me to get on with the composting.

But I cannot turn the pile with a pitchfork, I have tried. I have afterward gone to the massage therapist. I have been trying to come up with some kind of idea of a metal spiral mounted in the bin, with a turn handle in front, that would twirl the compost around when the handle is turned. Kind of like a big corkscrew. It could be removed when that bin is ready, and attached to the next bin before you start loading it with new scraps. You woukld probably need more than one, if the first one worked, to keep all the piles turning. Just an idea.

I would like to make a lot more compost than I do. I don't mind building more bins as these were very inexpensive, if I could get more and quicker compost from them. it seems the key is in how to turn it, and also the amounts of stuff I am adding. I bought a compost book called "let it rot".

I would love any ideas on how to turn a pile easier, and anything else that may come in handy. Thanks!!! Julie

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer