SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tnkrer1

How can I make my compost pile work

Moz Tn
12 years ago

I decided that I should start to compost last fall. I did not want to invest into composting bins and I was not in a hurry, so I got a wooden crate ( 4'x4' free from the guy I bought tiles from) and added a layer of fallen oak/maple leaves and another layer of grass clippings. Then I did nothing entire winter. The bin is located in woods and does not get much sun. This season I have added about 4 cups of coffee grounds and grass clippings. It doesn't seem to be breaking down and when I used my augur to drill few holes for air based on some other post here, it smelled pretty bad. So I moved the pile around and I see lot of white fungus in there.

Here is a picture of the compost heap

{{gwi:288180}}
I am still not in a hurry. I would be happy if I have good compost by fall or even by next spring. I can start another heap for new grass clippings if I should not add any new material to this one .. I want to use the compost for a vegetable garden I want to start from next spring. I do not have garden fork/pitch fork to easily turn the pile. I do have a bulb auger that I can use to drill in the pile.

help? suggestions?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm