SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Preparing unused clay soil for Fall planting

jenn
13 years ago

I'm carrying this discussion from the "Trench composting to prepare bare area for fall planting".

I want to prepare 2 borders in our side yard from unused clay soil into perennial/shrub beds for planting in November/December (this year). I was planning to use trench composting by burying kitchen waste on a weekly basis and covering it with a thick (3") layer of mulch until planting time. However, after reading the responses in my other post (above), I think a better method would be to till the beds NOW with lots of organic matter, plant a cover crop with deep roots to break up the hard clay below, and replace the cover crop in the fall with the new perennials and shrubs. The soil is probably just perfect now for mixing -- still damp from recent rain, but not wet.

I have some questions about this:

1. In Fall, do I uproot the cover crops, or cut them off at ground level and mix them into the soil before planting?

2. Instead of planting a cover crop now, what if I cover the newly-tilled areas with a thick layer of organic mulch and keep it damp throughout summer?

3. If I go the route of cover crop, what other crop might I try for deep roots to break up the soil?

I am NOT new to gardening, but totally new to the practice of cover crops. I thought they were for veggie gardening only.

Comments (22)