SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Trench composting to prepare bare area for fall planting

jenn
13 years ago

We are preparing our side yard for planting this fall (November/December). I am designing new perennial/shrub borders on each side, and am beginning to prepare the soil using no-till methods. This area faces south-east and will get plenty of sun this summer to aid decomposition. Each border will be approximately 15 feet long.

We have been composting for years, using a tumbler or large piles, and we used the Lasagna method to replace an area of sod with a new garden bed. I understand that tilling destroys the soil's precious microbial life and try to avoid that if possible.

Anyway.... I am using the method of trench composting to prepare one of these borders. I plan to create a new hole every few days and dump in the latest kitchen scraps, cover with soil and mulch, and keep damp. When I reach the end, I'll add more to the first hole, or start a new one next to it. Then, in late fall / early winter, I plan to plant directly in this bed. We also plan to recycle all of our yard clippings to create thick layers of mulch.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Am I realistic to think that the material in the trench will break down by the end of this year? Our summers are hot (upper 90s, sometimes low 100s) and dry but there are ways to save water to keep the trenches moist.

Many thanks for any suggestions...

Comments (29)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional