SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikefunaro

stihl ms290 or husky 455 rancher

mikefunaro
16 years ago

I know the STIHL vs. Husqvarna debate has taken place many times on this site before. I have a few specific questions, and would like to address these two saws in specific, if possible.

I know that a lot of people say that dealer support is most important. I live in metro NYC and most of the dealers are pretty sleezy, and definitely not honest. I don't feel any more comfortable with a local husky dealer or stihl dealer. A lot of the dealers around here have been switching between brands as well.

I'm looking for an 18" saw with a lot of power, in the $350 range (hence these two saws). The Husky seems to offer more bang for the buck. It has steel springs for vibration, the air purge system, a metal sprocket cover, and a better air filtration system--all of which is seen more with pro saws. The stihl, however, has the compensating carbureator. I've seen the MS290 referred to on this site as a boat anchor, and thus I'm a little weary. I will admit that there are slightly more Stihl dealers around here, but not by much.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)