SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alpocat

Trees to line an asphalt / easement driveway

alpocat
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I need some help deciding which tree(s)and / or shrubs to plant along my asphalt driveway. The 10 ft driveway is on a 20ft easement back to my property. Even though the driveway is about 700 ft long, about half of is passes through the woods. So, I would like to plant both sides of the driveway with something.

There are a couple of concerns that I have. First I want something to somewhat hide certain areas along the driveway. My neighbor is a great guy, but he's a pretty big packrat. I'd like to plant something to "pull the eye" from his "stuff" or hide it somewhat. I would like these plants to at least get about 8 feet tall. Everything doesn't need to be that tall, but it can be. Secondly, I don't want the root system of whatever I buy to later bust up the asphalt driveway. That leads me to my third issue. I will need to place some of these plants as close as 3 feet from the driveway. The driveway isn't centered on the 20 ft easement. I don't want these plants to hang over the drive too much.

I have already politely asked my neighbor if it was ok if I planted something and he doesn't mind at all. One specicies is ok with me, but probably not a good idea.

I know this is a lot, but let me say thank you to any suggestions that you can give.

Comments (18)