SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

Public Utility Easement Encroachment

One Devoted Dame
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Sorry, I couldn't figure out where else to put this! :-)

Built a tract house in mid-2017. Want to plant trees on a (mostly) treeless lot (it's a great time to plant now in Central Texas -- no snow this winter!). I did the Good Girl thing and contacted 811 before digging.

So, I have this lovely 10' public utility easement across the entire 50' span of my front yard. Minor irritation at first... There went my little cottage landscaping plan, but.... No problem! I'll design something cute with the remaining 15' I have from the PUE to the house!

Wrong.

Three utility companies have flagged my property so far (natural gas, electric, and cable), and wouldn't you know, that entire 10' easement is EMPTY. All of the flags and spray painted lines are within the 15' I was supposed to have all to myself. :-(

What do I do? Who do I talk to? Can this be remedied?

I contacted my natural gas company (they were the first ones out to flag everything), and am still waiting for a response. The builder-installed oak tree in my front yard is actually right in the middle of some lines (the tree is outside the easement by a few feet), and I'm afraid that the root system will quickly damage the utilities in a few years, causing the utility company to kill my tree in order to remove/reroute lines.

I was told by an electrician that the flags can be up to 3' off... So it's best to not dig within 3' of either side of the line.... But dang, a 6' no-planting zone, that's 4'-5' outside the PUE?

At first, I was pretty ticked. Now I'm just bummed. :-( I'm probably stuck, right? I tried googling, but couldn't find anything germane to my situation.

Thanks for any help, insight, or sympathy y'all have. <3

Comments (26)