SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_regina_gw

mini greenhouse/automator heat source ?

lisa-regina
15 years ago

Twelve years ago my husband purchased an automator greenhouse looking contraption from Park Seeds. It had an automatic temperature sensor arm that would open the top to ventilate when it would reach a certain temperature inside and closed when the temperature dropped to keep out the cold to protect seedlings and plants. It is falling apart and I can't get another one to replace it, seeing that they do not make them any longer. So my husband is in the process of building me a new one that is more sturdy.

My dilema is that I would love to provide some sort of heat source to the inside, since temperatures sometimes get down in the teens here in Ohio. This automator will be built like a cold frame with all glass sides and top, it will sit on a table outside my back door. Therefore there will not be any soil for a soil heating cable. I'm just planning on putting flats of seeds and plants in it. Is it possible to heat something this small without causing a fire? I am going to have my husband buy and install another temp sensor arm so that it will open automatically when it gets too hot for my seedlings, but when it gets cold and the sensor arm closes I want to keep heat inside at a temperature that is warm but not so warm that it triggers the sensor arm to open in the freezing cold frosty weather and ruin my seedlings. Does anyone have any ideas how that I can accomplish this? Any information would be greatly appreciated...Lisa

Comments (3)