SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deep_roots

3' x 6' Mini Heated and Insulated Greenhouse

deep_roots
14 years ago

Stumbled onto this forum and wanting some 'wise advice'. After growing weary of having such a short growing season for my warm season vegetables, I am trying out new ideas. This year, I am wanting to supplement my main season crops with a small collection of early started vegetables.

This would include individual plantings of a Stupice tomato, a Bush Champion cucumber, an Early Prolific squash, a Long Oriental eggplant, a Minnesota Midget muskmelon, a Super Chili hot pepper, and Red LaSoda potato into 6 self-watering 5 gallon buckets. These would be started indoors around March 1, 2010, and set outdoors around April 1, 2010.

I would like to build a small structure to allow placing these buckets outdoors in weather that can range from the upper teens to upper twenties at night to upper thirties and low fifties during the afternoon and maintain a temperature around 60 to 75 degrees. I work away from home during the day and would not be able to address things like excess heat build up or closing vents on cold days. I do have electricity and water sources nearby. Since I normally plant outdoors during the second week of May, this structure would not need to be long term. However, I can see using it again in fall.

Since, it seems like a lot of smart gardeners are on this forum, I would assume that I am not the only one who has thought about doing such an adventure. If you could point me to good old posts about such plans, I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

Comments (12)