SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Seed starting in heated mini greenhouse

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

Ok, so I bought a Germination Station, one of those small seed germination greenhouses that comes with a heat mat you put underneath it to keep the potting mix warm. It seems to be working great, as all 3 rows of my tomatoes (Sungold Select II, Amish Paste & Black Cherry) have sprouted. The thing that worries me is that they're starting to get a bit leggy already! I can't easily transplant them to plastic cups, as they're just in the little holes the greenhouse has in seed starting mix. So, to transplant them, i'd have to pull them completely out of the mix, roots & all, and then pot up to plastic cup or whatever. Is this what I need to do, or maybe just leave them be & they won't get too leggy? I'm a slight bit confused, as i've never used one of these heated greenhouse seed starters before. If they were in peat pellets, i'd easily be able to pot them up, but that's not the case. Do I just need to take the dome off maybe, even though the other 5 rows (peppers) haven't even popped through the soil yet? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Comments (7)